What Storm, What Thunder

by Myriam J. A. Chancy

959251,698 (4)1
At the end of a long, sweltering day, as markets and businesses begin to close for the evening, an earthquake of 7.0 magnitude shakes the capital of Haiti, Port-au-Prince.  Award-winning author Myriam J. A. Chancy masterfully charts the inner lives of the characters affected by the disaster----Richard, an expat and wealthy water-bottling executive with a secret daughter; the daughter, Anne, an architect who drafts affordable housing structures for a global NGO; a small-time drug trafficker, Leopold, who pines for a beautiful call girl; Sonia and her business partner, Dieudonné, who are followed by a man they believe is the vodou spirit of death; Didier, an emigrant musician who drives a taxi in Boston; Sara, a mother haunted by the ghosts of her children in an IDP camp; her husband, Olivier, an accountant forced to abandon the wife he loves; their son, Jonas, who haunts them both; and Ma Lou, the old woman selling produce in the market who remembers them all. Artfully weaving together these lives, this gripping story gives witness to the desolation wreaked by nature and by man.  Brilliantly crafted, fiercely imagined, and deeply haunting, What Storm, What Thunder is a singular, stunning record, a reckoning of the heartbreaking trauma of disaster, and----at the same time----an unforgettable testimony to the tenacity of the human spirit.… (more)

very well written - like the writing style. but so difficult to read because of the loss of life and lives damaged from what was a real storm. Too real. ( )
  MPerfetto | Oct 28, 2022 |
Best read of 2021 !!!!!!

After Les Villages de Dieu by Emmelie Prophète, this is the second book that I read for the year which deals with subjects that I know too well: the earthquake of January 12, 2010 which literally brought Haiti to the ground , not even on her knees, lying face down in the white dust. It's a fictional story but that didn't stop me from identifying myself with the characters. In this book, we follow the stories of 10 people, all related in one way or another. Everyone experienced those seconds of terror in a different way.

I like the way Madame Chancy describes the life of each character. We have the impression that we were there, that it was our life. Each of them. It made me think back to my post-Douz experience where, even though my house had not collapsed, I slept with my family in a tent that barely struggled to accommodate us together. The book is in English but I assure you that it is easy to read.

All of this to tell you that I recommend this book with all my heart. Until recently, I did not know this talented author and that is why I would like to thank the Tin House publishing house for this such a beautiful gift, I loved, I very much appreciated. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
  Capucinette | Oct 25, 2022 |
Each chapter looks at the 2010 earthquake in Haiti through the eyes of a different yet interconnected character, some of which are easier to connect with than others. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Sep 29, 2022 |
This was a difficult book to read, not because I wasn‘t pulled in, but because the realism of the writing. This is a multi-POV fictional accounts of the Haitian earthquake of 2010 and aftermath. Profound, emotional, and book hangover worthy. ( )
  christyco125 | Jul 4, 2022 |
Finished on Whidbey Island. Multiple interlocking stories springing from the 2010 earthquake in Haiti. Exactly the type of book/voice I was missing from my own experiences, and the reason why I sought out Indievisible/Harvard First Editions. ( )
  kcshankd | Jun 21, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,877,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible