The Killing Kind (2021)

by Jane Casey

The incredible new break-out thriller from the Sunday Times bestselling author. Don't miss the book everyone will be talking about this year! He tells you you're special... As a barrister, Ingrid Lewis is used to dealing with tricky clients, but no one has ever come close to John Webster. After Ingrid defended Webster against a stalking charge, he then turned on her - following her, ruining her relationship, even destroying her home.   He tells you he wants to protect you... Now, Ingrid believes she has finally escaped his clutches. But when one of her colleagues is run down on a busy London road, Ingrid is sure she was the intended victim. And then Webster shows up at her door...   But can you believe him? Webster claims Ingrid is in danger - and that only he can protect her. Stalker or saviour? Murderer or protector? The clock is ticking for Ingrid to decide. Because the killer is ready to strike again. Praise for The Killing Kind 'Nobody understands the dark gap between justice and the law better than Jane Casey' Val McDermid 'Cool, accomplished, compulsive' Cara Hunter 'Extremely tense and very gripping' Ruth Ware 'A compulsive page-turner ' Steve Cavanagh 'A breathless game of cat-and-mouse' Erin Kelly 'A truly masterly thriller' Liz Nugent 'Tense and well-plotted' Harriet Tyce 'Each twist tightens the screw' J. R. Ellis 'Tense, pacy, addictive' Sarah Vaughan 'Brilliant plotted' Catherine Cooper 'One of my favourite writers' Dervla McTiernan 'Twisty and unexpected' Ann Cleeves 'Heart-stopping twists ' Sarah Hilary 'Endlessly surprising' Catherine Ryan Howard 'One of those 'just one more page' books' Susi Holliday 'Authentic, tense, thrilling' Will Dean 'Intricate' Jane Shemilt 'Fast-paced' Jo Spain 'Brilliant' The Times 'Creepily good' Daily Mail 'Chilling' Sunday Times… (more)

Barrister Ingrid Lewis persuades the Crown prosecutor to drop the charge of stalking against John Webster by destroying his victim Emma Seaton as a trustworthy witness. They had been in a relationship for a number of years and Emma clearly could not get away from him. He took her savings; he beckoned, she came running. Ingrid's treatment of Emma in court is cruel, and eventually Emma tries to take some revenge.

Little does Ingrid realise that she too will become one of John Webster's victims. Things begin to happen shortly after the stalking trial - strange phone calls, her fiance's parked car is damaged, Ingrid's details appear on a call girl website, and more. Ingrid is convinced the source of the problems is John Webster, but he convinces investigating police that he is blameless.

As the story ramps up, the author uses some interesting devices to add to the plot and to provide more mystery: email conversations between three people, court reports and so on.

A well constructed novel that has the reader wondering about everyone in Ingrid's life, and just how good a judge of character she is. And she is obviously dangerous to know.... ( )
  smik | Nov 5, 2021 |
This one sucked me at the start with a lot of interesting plot activity in the first quarter of the book. But then the story started getting a little repetitive and dragged on somewhat. It didn’t help that the lengthy story was a little far-fetched and that the lead character (who I never really got a good sense of) becomes increasingly annoying as she unravels. Without interest or empathy in her, the story fell flat for me, despite the creative plot. Themes include revenge, as well as trust/distrust.
Thank you to the author and publisher for a free advanced reader's copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  AnnieKMD | Oct 24, 2021 |
"Trusting him was like keeping a great white shark as a pet."

If don't trust anyone, including yourself was a book then The Killing Kind by Jane Casey would be it. Imagine someone killing people around you but you're the intended target and to top it off the only person who it seems you can trust is your stalker, ex-client. What a concept!

This book had me in a state of panic from the first few pages. I have never been so scared for a character, like I was for Ingrid. The suspense building was on point and had my heart racing the entire time. I didn't trust a single soul and I couldn't believe how trusting Ingrid was. Webster, the stalker gave me Dexter and Hannibal vibes. My level of anxiety as I read this one was through the roof. It was psychological thriller gold. I had to keep putting it down but then I would feel instant fear because I needed to know if Ingrid was going to be safe through the night. If this was a movie, I would be alternating between holding my breath, covering my eyes and screaming. It had everything I loved in a thriller.

What really hit home were the themes at the core of the plot. It makes you see how victims are blamed and not believed, especially women. It shows how the law isn't perfect and it's not always about guilt or innocence. Being good or bad is not an either/or concept. It also shows how trauma and fear can keep you trapped and put blinders on you. One of the main themes was how often the justice system fails women and treats their concerns as hysteria. I highly recommend this one if you love a book that's gonna play with your mind and keep your heart thumping put of your chest. Someone point me in the direction of Jane Casey's backlist because I need them all.

Thanks to @harpercollins and @tlcbooktours for the gifted copy.

#TheKillingKind #JaneCasey #HarperCollins #TLCBookTour #thrillers #fiction #psychological #bookstagram #bookreview #tbr #bookrecommendation #bookish #booksandmurals #booksandart #reading #spookyseason #books #bookworm #bibliophile #booktour #newrelease #bookphotos #stalker #bookfeature #bookstagrammer #readersofIG #scarybooks #gifted ( )
  Booklover217 | Oct 6, 2021 |
The Killing Kind was a suspenseful read that kept me turning the pages as fast as I could. It's actually a pretty thick book - my copy was 470 pages but I flew through it. It's one of those reads that you don't want to set down because you just want to see what is going to happen next. One of the things that I enjoyed the most about this book was that you didn't know who to trust. Ingrid previously had a stalker - John Webster - who it seems like may be coming back into her life. And as the summary above states - he is stating that he can help her because it does look like someone is trying to hurt or kill her. Could it be John that is trying to insert himself into her life again or who is trying to cause her harm? Or could it be someone else trying to hurt her possibly related to her job as she works in criminal defense. Who can she trust? Is there anyone? These questions swirled around constantly in my head while I was reading this book. It really helped to up the level of tension and suspense that was present throughout this book. I was so caught up in this book that I just didn't want to set this book down. I especially was intrigued by John Webster's character and what his motivations were. This book won't be for everyone though - it deals with some difficult subject matter that won't be for every reader. I will include content warnings below for the major ones but if you have specific questions just let me know. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and am eager to read more by this author!

Read this book if you enjoy suspenseful, page turning reads that you don't want to set down. I've read one of this author's book so far (book one in a long running series of hers) and this was a great reminder that I need to get back to that series. This book would be a great place to start if you don't want to begin a long running series and want to give her a try with a standalone instead. Highly recommended!

Bottom Line: A book that I just couldn't stop reading!

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book thanks to the publisher as part of a TLC book tour. Honest thoughts are my own.

Content Warnings: Rape (this is on page somewhat so be warned that this could be triggering for some readers), suicide, stalking ( )
  samantha.1020 | Sep 23, 2021 |
Jane Casey is a Sunday Times bestselling author. Her latest book is a standalone titled The Killing Kind.
Ingrid works as a barrister. She defended John Webster on stalking charges and won. But, he then turned his attentions to Ingrid and her life.

Novels with stalkers in the mix are quite frightening. I think that's because it's quite real, especially with social media playing such a large part in so many lives. For a novelist, it gives a plot many directions to take.

Casey did a great job creating a wonderfully creepy antagonist in John Webster. His dialogue and actions let the reader experience his sociopathic tendencies. I'm torn on Ingrid. She started off as a likable character, but then seemed to become a different person. In the end, I didn't like her at all. There are unknown characters that also play a part in this plot. We only know there's something afoot from their email exchanges.

Casey flips the timeline from past to present as we learn that what has transpired is affecting what's happening now. The connection is fairly obvious, but Casey puts a nice twist into the mix in the final chapters. (Saw that one coming too)

The Killing Kind was a bit of a chunkster coming in at 480 pages. I do think it could have been pared down a bit. The first bit had me totally engrossed, but the hold the book had on me lessened as it progressed. Ingrid got repetitive, essentially doing the same thing again and again. Cat and mouse games are fun, but only for so many times. I will be the first to say that I'm quite pragmatic. I did find some of Ingrid's actions to also be more than a little far fetched for a number of reasons including - is she not in fear for her life?

The Killing Kind is entertaining, but not as believable has I would hoped. That being said, I can see this one as a movie. ( )
  Twink | Sep 21, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,267,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible