This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter…

This Year You Write Your Novel (edition 2009)

by Walter Mosley

Member:jasonpettus
Title:This Year You Write Your Novel
Authors:Walter Mosley
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 128 pages
Rating:***

This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley

There are literally hundreds of excellent craft books out there, but this is not one of them. I recommend you read the pep talks from the Nanowrimo site--they perform the same job, and they do it much better than this little novella. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
This was exactly the book about writing I needed to read right now. If you're not me (and I would be very confused if you were) this will be useful to you, but may not blow your mind like it did mine. Nevertheless, it's very much worth reading. It's a short book that manages to feel like an engaged mentor, a wise guide, and just enough of a shove in the write direction.
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Read in May, 2014

Read for Fun (Library)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Helpful Rating: 4.00
Tips Rating: 4.00

First Thought when Finished: I read This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley in one sitting!

Overall Thoughts: This book was beginning to end chalk full of helpful tips for the first time writer. It wasn't really anything I have not heard before but the layout was simple, clean, and easy to follow. There were plenty of "note" worthy things to jot down and most of all it served the purpose of getting me excited to start writing.

Final Thoughts: Doesn't matter what you are thinking of writing, this is a good quick reference book. ( )
  thehistorychic | Sep 11, 2014 |
This brief book has a very direct, no-nonsense style with plenty of examples to help the fledgling novelist get started on his or her first effort. Like every book about writing, it emphasizes that writing is a practice, not an impulsive creative act. Yet it also allows that there are several approaches to the same end.

Those who have been studying writing for a while may find the level of description too elementary, but I believe there are always fundamentals that even the cleverest of us have somehow overlooked. Those who have had notions of writing a novel but simply don't know where to begin will find all the essentials they need to get going. Unfortunately for them, the underlying message that can't be denied is that writers write and that writing requires regular effort. Mosley never forgets to stress that point. ( )
  phredfrancis | Feb 8, 2014 |
One of my favorite authors presents a realistic way to get one's first novel written. Everything in this book I have read before, but this is MOSELY telling me how to do it, and as usual, he tells it like no one else can. The way he writes it, it is possible, and he shows the possibilities while expecting the reader/writer to do what is necessary to succeed. I plan to purchase this book and reread it because although very inspiring, I have yet to put it into action. ( )
  brickhorse | Jan 7, 2014 |
There are probably a million reasons why you still haven't written that novel you've been dreaming of. But here's a book by someone who knows how to get the job done -- and can offer you practical advice to make it happen in one year's time.

Walter Mosley, author of Devil in a Blue Dress, Fortunate Son, Fear of the Dark and many other successful novels, turns his expertise to your advantage. This Year You Write Your Novel offers the crucial steps you need to take to create the novel you've been itching to write. Mosley offers guidance in the form of basic rules (write every day, even if you feel you have nothing to say) how to choose your narrative voice; how to write without restraint; showing vs. telling; metaphor vs. simile; character development ("in part , the purpose of the novel is to map out the events in the protagonist's life that cause her to change"); how to engage the reader; and much more. Mosley's approach is very down to earth and accessible, and as he says, you may not be the next Dickens, but with his help you can write a book that's entertaining and even saleable.
added by libraryuser59 | editBook of the Month Club

In memory of William Matthews
The first thing you have to know about writing is that it is something you must do every day--every morning or every night, whatever time it is that you have.

No more excuses. "Let the lawn get shaggy and the paint peel from the walls," bestselling novelist Walter Mosley advises. Anyone can write a novel now, and in this essential book of tips, practical advice, and wisdom, Walter Mosley promises that the writer-in-waiting can finish it in one year. Intended as both inspiration and instruction, the book provides the tools to turn out a first draft painlessly and then revise it into something finer. Mosley tells how to:
- Create a daily writing regimen to fit any writer's needs--and how to stick to it.
- Determine the narrative voice that's right for every writer's style.
- Get past those first challenging sentences and into the heart of a story.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:45 -0400)

No more excuses! Anyone can write a novel, novelist Mosley advises, and in this book of tips, practical advice, and wisdom, he promises that the writer-in-waiting can finish it in one year. Intended as both inspiration and instruction, the book provides the tools to turn out a first draft painlessly and then revise it into something finer. Mosley tells: how to create a daily writing regimen to fit any writer's needs--and how to stick to it; how to determine the narrative voice that's right for every writer's style; and how to get past those first challenging sentences and into the heart of a story.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,284,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible