SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Love in the Big City

by Sang Young Park

1511,135,435 (5)2

Love in the Big City is a stunning book about being young and the trials and tribulations associated with love. Translated from Korean, the story is joyful and cynical at the same time, creating a pretty much completely realistic world.

This book centers on Young and his best friend (and roommate) Jaehee, as the two experience life in the city of Seoul. Jaehee leaves Young when she settles down, leaving him alone to figure out how to balance caring for his sick mother and experience meaningful relationships. These relationships range from a handsome and icy man to the man that could end up being the love of his life, or the one who got away.

I loved the way that this book reinforced the themes of identity within through the provided representation in the New Adult genre. Park also allowed for conversations utilizing women's voices and focusing on the ideas of pro-choice living.

The way Park wrote this book allows for super in-depth exploration into what it means to be dating in your twenties, past college. I, personally, was forced to sit down and examine what life would be like if I wasn't in a relationship. Now, I'm not saying I need a partner, but this book asked me to recognize the good and the bad in a choice to remain single or the choice to settle down.

Overall rating: 5/5

Love in the Big City will be available for purchase on November 9th. Be sure to add it to your Goodreads shelf and see where it's available for purchase. Also, be sure to check out Sang Young Park's interview with Words Without Borders!
I was lucky enough to be able to listen to this Advanced Reader's Copy through my partnership with NetGalley. All opinions are my own. ( )
  ghostie_reads | Jul 13, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,368,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible