The Resting Place by Camilla Sten

The Resting Place (edition 2022)

by Camilla Sten (Author)

Member:alreynolds
Title:The Resting Place
Authors:Camilla Sten (Author)
Info:Minotaur Books (2022), 336 pages
Collections:TBR, Your library, To read (inactive)

Work Information

The Resting Place by Camilla Sten

I really, really wanted to like this more. I even went back and reread some passages to see if I had just been loopy when I read it the first time...but...no. I have to admit that I may have expected it to have equaled the first book...The Lost Village. Like most thrillers of this kind, the narrative is split between the past and the present, with the past being a melodrama and the present being underwhelming. The weather keeps the characters stuck inside with a killer that might be lurking on the premises. This is as “mysterious” as it gets. This author has already blatantly demonstrated that she can produce a spine-tingling story with her first book The Lost Village. The writing is good. The plot is good. Camille Sten can indeed write, but the pacing leaves a lot to be desired. There is a prerequisite ending plot twist... (kudos to the author for that) ...and it is by no means a predictable one. I would have read whatever Sten wrote just based on the strength of that debut novel, but this book just didn't have the same effect. It isn’t terrible. It isn't unreadable by any means. It’s just so slow, so average....so unexpected from Camille Sten. It just didn't give the same feeling as the first book did. I gave it 3.5 stars because I like this author so much...and will certainly look forward to more by her. I feel that I should say that if you haven’t read her first book you will more than likely love this one having nothing to compare it to...but read her first book and I believe you’ll see and feel the difference. ( )
  Carol420 | Dec 11, 2021 |
Review of Uncorrected Digital Galley

Eleanor came face to face with her grandmother’s murderer, but she cannot identify the killer. She has prosopagnosia, a condition that renders her unable to recognize a face, even the face of a friend or a family member. The distress she feels hounds her whether she's asleep or awake, leaving her feeling rather paranoid and uneasy.

Some months after her grandmother's death, a call from a lawyer handling Vivianne’s affairs sends Eleanor and her boyfriend, Sebastian, off to Solhöga, an estate tucked away in the Swedish woods . . . the place where Eleanor's grandfather died. The plan is for them to meet there and inventory the contents of the house.

Although she’d expected her aunt to stay away, Veronika is already there when Eleanor and Sebastian arrive; the four of them will do the inventory. But Eleanor cannot shake the feeling that someone is watching them, stalking them. Could it be the missing groundskeeper, Mats Bengtsson?

And when strange things happen and the weather strands them at Solhöga, will they fall victim to the tragedies of the past?

=========

Past and present come together as the stories of two women, Annika and Eleanor, converge in a haunting Swedish estate. Annika’s story provides the necessary backstory for Eleanor’s story. Annika, whose given name is Anushka, was a housekeeper who lived at Solhöga some fifty years earlier while Eleanor is the granddaughter of the woman who owned the estate.

Well-defined [and, for the most part, thoroughly unlikeable] characters, a strong sense of place, and a captivating plot pull readers into the telling of the tale from the outset. The unfolding narrative, with its surprising revelations, keeps the suspense building and the undercurrent of apprehension adds an eeriness to the narrative.

The plot takes some interesting twists as the story evolves; Eleanor’s face blindness creates an unusual situation and lays the groundwork for a surprising twist late in the telling of the tale. The atmosphere, dark and menacing, keeps the pages turning.

Highly recommended.

I received a free copy of this eBook from St. Martin’s Press, Minotaur Books and NetGalley
#TheRestingPlace #NetGalley ( )
  jfe16 | Oct 30, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,972,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible