Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Storm Front

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (1)

9,924431286 (3.8)2 / 597
    Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (Siesser)
    Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green (amberwitch, plutoempress, lookitisheef, DovSherman)
    amberwitch: A tough P.I. with a number of convenient talents making a living and trying to uncover the secrets of his own origin in the magical Nightside of London.
    plutoempress: similar style, though i (and this is my opinion) find john taylor funnier than harry dresden.
    lookitisheef: Jim Butcher and Simon R. Green both have created great supernatural male-lead detective series. I think they provide a nice balance to the girls-kick-butt series out there...don't get me wrong, I love the work of Kim Harrison and Laurell K. Hamilton (to name a couple), but it's nice to see that authors can create plausible male leads in the supernatural fiction world, too.… (more)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (majkia)
    majkia: both involve paranormal mystery and smart-ass dialog.
    Hounded by Kevin Hearne (clif_hiker, al.vick)
    Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko (FFortuna)
    Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison (cjacklen)
    cjacklen: A crime-fighting witch quits her job to become a PI. Faster pace and more addictive than than "Storm Front".
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (Polenth)
    The Man With The Golden Torc by Simon R. Green (dmacmillan, Scottneumann)
    dmacmillan: Similar in tone to Butcher's Dresden Files but bigger in scope and with perhaps an even wilder storyline.
    Nightlife by Rob Thurman (gluestick)
    gluestick: Brothers Cal & Niko Leandros battle monsters while on the run from Auphe.Doesn't help that Cal is half Auphe.
    Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines (kqueue)
    kqueue: I found many similarities between Isaac Vainio and Harry Dresden. Both are cynical, powerful, heroes with a dark sense of humor, who are on the fringes of their official organization but are called in to save the day. Both books feature many mythical creatures, and have a good versus evil theme in a fast-paced adventure.… (more)
    Thicker Than Water by Mike Carey (BeckyJG)
    The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (amberwitch, TheLibraryhag)
    amberwitch: Same noir feel, more interesting first person narrator. Lovely London descriptions.
    Dead Eye: Pennies for the Ferryman by Jim Bernheimer (enrique_molinero, gluestick)
    gluestick: Lone wolf hero.After coming back from Iraq and getting a donor eye he starts seeing ghosts. Next best thing while waiting for the newest Dresden files book.
    Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco (MyriadBooks)
    Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Strict31)
    Strict31: Lotta "urban fantasy" books out there. So many that simply stick to a formula. I was jonesin' hard for some Dresden when I stumbled across the Kate Daniels series. Like Dresden, it's a rare gem among a drawer filled with common stones. Kate doesn't spend her time on her back or pining for super-handsome creatures of the night. And she's not just an action surrogate for a male hero. There is action and there is romance. But it all fits. The series was not created to serve the needs of a genre, but rather, the needs of the character. It's a different type of storyline than Dresden, because the world has been irrevocably changed by the existence of magic. But a lot of the things I go to Dresden to get are also found here.… (more)
    Sweet Silver Blues by Glen Cook (MyriadBooks)
    Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (ow1goddess)
    The Man Who Walked in Darkness by Chris Strange (Kaczencja)
    The Man Who Crossed Worlds by Chris Strange (terriko)
    Of Saints and Shadows by Christopher Golden (Scottneumann)

English (425)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (431)
I liked Harry Dresden. He's a cool wizard detective. Hell, he is the first wizard detective I have ever read about (so far). I liked the humor and the action in the book. But I was not overly captivated by the story, it wasn't a book that I devoured and when I finally finished it I had to have the next. Although I want to and I will read the rest of the series in the future. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 25, 2017 |
Harry Dresden finds himself both a suspect and a potential victim in a string of grisly murders in Chicago. ( )
  jrthebutler | Feb 20, 2017 |
This was my first Jim Butcher. I liked the familiar and fresh writing style and voice. I don't know Chicago but the world building felt right for USA though I didn't feel any 'color' in the characters so seemed default 'white'. Did I miss something? I like to have a stronger sense of the people in contemporary stories as well as historical or fantasy worlds . . .

It took me a little while to warm up to Harry but when I did, the book took off for me. I can see how this series could be addictive. Good read! ( )
  KimFalconer | Jan 29, 2017 |
I absolutely love this book. I don't think I can possibly recommend it highly enough. It's well-written and engaging. The characters are interesting, the plot flows well, the voice of Harry Dresden is easy to hear in your mind and speaks with a familiar, conversational dry wit and sarcasm that I'm used to hearing in everyday speech where I live, from myself and others, and which I grew up with but perhaps dialed up a bit. One of my favorite things is that Harry Dresden is not invincible and he knows that and the readers get to really see and feel that, too. He feels very human and, as such, I find him very relatable. Which is good, since he's the main character and the person from whose point of view the book is written. I love the way that you feel like things have been finished and tied up with a neat bow at the end and it feels like you've come full circle. I wasn't disappointed by a single word of this book and I am SO glad that there are more books in this series for me to read. I'm definitely going to check them out. ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
The Dresden Files aren't high literature, but they're propulsive reading and spectacularly good fun. Jim Butcher spent many years working and honing his craft in the quest to get published, and shows a real mastery of (a somewhat mechanical form of)plotting that makes the books addictive and satisfying. Highly recommended as light recreational reading. ( )
  nurfherder | Jan 15, 2017 |
Storm Front's premise is pretty slim.. But Butcher makes it work, through a combination of interesting characters, tight plotting, and fresh, breezy writing. This is definitely not deep reading, but it is a whole lot of fun.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Victoria Strauss (Aug 1, 2000)

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Langowski, JürgenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McGrath, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie Chester, who taught me everything I really needed to know about writing. And for my father, who taught me everything I really needed to know about living. I miss you dad.
I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual.
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
"An actual wizard?" he asked, grinning, as though I should let him in on the joke. "Spells and potions? Demons and incantations? Subtle and quick to anger?"
"Not so subtle."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451457811, Mass Market Paperback)

For Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, business, to put it mildly, stinks. So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:03 -0400)

A modern-day mage and consultant to the police finds his stale life suddenly enlivened by the presence of a rival in the black arts.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,294,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible