Spear by Nicola Griffith

Spear (edition 2022)

by Nicola Griffith (Author)

"Breathtaking. Nicola Griffith knows what she's doing." --Jo Walton / "Mesmerizing, epic, and immersive." --Malka Older A spellbinding and subversive queer recasting of Arthurian myth by the legendary author of Hild The girl knows she has a destiny before she even knows her name. She grows up in the wild, in a cave with her mother, but visions of a faraway lake come to her on the spring breeze, and when she hears a traveler speak of Artos, king of Caer Leon, she knows that her future lies at his court. And so, brimming with magic and eager to test her strength, she breaks her covenant with her mother and, with a broken hunting spear and mended armour, rides on a bony gelding to Caer Leon. On her adventures she will meet great knights and steal the hearts of beautiful women. She will fight warriors and sorcerers. And she will find her love, and the lake, and her fate. Nebula and Lambda Award-winning author Nicola Griffith returns with Spear, a glorious queer retelling of Arthurian legend, full of dazzling magic and intoxicating adventure.… (more)
Member:malinablue
Title:Spear
Authors:Nicola Griffith (Author)
Info:Tordotcom (2022), 192 pages

Work Information

Spear by Nicola Griffith

I was really excited for this book, I love a retelling of King Arthur and his knights. Tracy Deonn's Legendborn renewed my love for King Arthur.

The story overall was good but I found the pace quite slow at times. The last half of the book did pick up in pace as we discovered more of Per's back story and met Nimue.

I would read more of Nicola's books in the future. ( )
  Shauna_Morrison | Apr 30, 2022 |
At this point in my life, I think about Arthurian retellings as a rich land that I very much enjoyed when I was a teen and young adult, but that I grew out of some time ago. I see that description, and it turns me right off — but. Nicola Griffith. And tordotcom.

Well, I am not disappointed to be reconnected with my youthful interests in this way. Rich with history, a seductive main character, and a new retelling for a new time. And Peretur is seductive in the way the old legends were — a mysterious history, unknown even to her, a fierce attachment to an ethical code that shines off the page, and an astonishing level of badass fighting skill — add to that a tendency to seduce farm wives and she’s as swoony as they come.

Thank you Nicola Griffith, not so much for queering history as much as writing the people who were always there. I enjoyed the historical notes almost as much as the novella. Spectacular.

Advanced readers copy provided by Edelweiss. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |

Nicola Griffithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cai, RovinaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Kelley, my love and my lake
In the wild waste, a girl, growing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,331,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible