London's Museums and Galleries: Exploring…

London's Museums and Galleries: Exploring the Best of the City's Art and Culture (London Guides) (edition 2021)

by Eleanor Ross (Author)

423,431,356 (4.5)None
A curated selection of 95 London museums and galleries, from the obscure to the resplendent.
Member:Michele5
Title:London's Museums and Galleries: Exploring the Best of the City's Art and Culture (London Guides)
Authors:Eleanor Ross (Author)
Info:Frances Lincoln (2021), 176 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:NF - ART, READ

Work Information

London's Museums and Galleries: Exploring the Best of the City's Art and Culture (London Guides) by Eleanor Ross

Recently added byMichele5, bram, TissieL, pomo58

As the title suggests, LMG is a travel guide featuring London-based museums and art galleries. If you’re expecting a boring directory of places to check out, maybe clumped together in the central part of the town, think again. This book offers a comprehensive list of what to visit when you’re donning your tourist hat, from big museums like the British to more secluded places like The Viktor Wynd or Deptford. Divided in sections – that’s handy! – and with a map at the end, it covers the whole city.

[Keep reading @ Bookshelves & Teacups] ( )
  TissieL | May 3, 2023 |
London's Museums and Galleries by Eleanor Ross is a nice guide for both visitors to London as well as residents since it includes some smaller but very interesting places as well as all of the bigger venues.

The obvious target readers are either future tourists to London or those who prefer armchair travels (especially with the advent of a larger online presence for most museums and galleries). I include residents as another group that will enjoy this because when one lives in or near a city one often misses a lot of the things that there are to do. I have gone back to cities (NYC and Chicago come immediately to mind) in which I had lived and discovered wonderful places I wish I had known about while living there.

The photographs are nice, so this could be a coffee table book, but the emphasis is on presenting a little about each place and letting potential visitors know what to expect, so the pictures don't dominate the book the way they often do in traditional coffee table books. This is still a very nice looking book but is also a very useful book, which is its primary function.

A quick aside. A friend asked me how I could even remotely refer to this as a possible coffee table book because of its size, it is not oversized. I understand the question but, for me, a visually appealing book of any size is potentially a coffee table book for me, though it might actually be more of and end table book, but you understand.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Jun 14, 2021 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,761,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible