The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (original 1994; edition 2002)

by Laurie R. King (Author)

A chance meeting with a Sussex beekeeper turns into a pivotal, personal transformation when fifteen-year-old Mary Russell discovers that the beekeeper is the reclusive, retired detective Sherlock Holmes, who soon takes on the role of mentor and teacher.
Member:SharleneMartinMoore
Title:The Beekeeper's Apprentice
Authors:Laurie R. King (Author)
Info:Bantam (2002), 384 pages
Tags:to-read

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (1994)

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (clif_hiker, 47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: Younger heroine and more precocious but similar
    A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King (catpal1)
    catpal1: All of the books in this series are wonderful. It's such a fresh take on the Sherlock Holmes fiction: the give-and-take reminds me of the old Kate Hepburn/Spencer Tracy pairings.
    A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley (47degreesnorth)
    The Seven-Per-Cent Solution by Nicholas Meyer (markusnenadovus)
    Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (Sally604)
    Sally604: Mysteries set in the same era with a female detective - lots of fun to read.
    The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley (47degreesnorth)
    47degreesnorth: No Holmes but younger more precocious heroine with a thirst to solve the case.
    New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Martin Harry Greenberg (Othemts)
    Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal (yonitdm)
    yonitdm: They both feature brilliant, strong women as main characters, plus mystery, intrigue, and many, many cups of tea.
    The Final Solution. A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon (laytonwoman3rd)
    laytonwoman3rd: This book also features an elderly beekeeper who does some detecting, and who we are meant to understand to be Sherlock Holmes, although his name is not mentioned.
    Chalice by Robin McKinley (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: To continue a bit of the bee theme.
    And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander (nessreader)
    A Slight Trick of the Mind by Mitch Cullin (Othemts)
    Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon by Larry Millett (Othemts)
    Holmes on the Range by Steve Hockensmith (clif_hiker)

English (267)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (270)
NOTE: I have read this book at least twice before, but I couldn’t finish the audiobook. More about that later...

I love this series. I owe Laurie R King so much. She showed me that there were other Sherlock Holmes stories to enjoy once I was finished with the canon. Russell is an engaging character (even if I do think she’s super hella fucking obnoxious at times, but that just means she’s got her faults like any good character). While the romance doesn’t feature in the first book, you can see King setting up the building blocks.

Which brings me to what I *don’t* like about this series. I’m a big fan of May/December romances, but please, PLEASE consider the ages of your characters before you write one. Holmes is ~54 when they meet. Russell is 15. That’s forty years, Laurie. For a real life age gap example: my parents are eight years apart and my grandparents are twelve. I’m writing something with a gap of twenty. Forty? That treads in the ( )
  cthuwu | Jul 28, 2021 |
Great mystery. Great crime detective fiction with Sherlock Holmes and his new apprentice/partner Mary Russell.Love the wordings. Author has a gift of writing. ( )
  Headinherbooks_27 | May 30, 2021 |
Ok, it took me a very long time to finish the book but I did enjoy it. I think the narration made it very hard to stay immersed in the story (stories). The narrator did a good job giving the key players their own, distinct voices but they were all slow and fairly monotone and I found myself drifting away for long periods of time and then hitting rewind a lot. And then drifting away again and hitting rewind more. And so on and so on.

I think if I try another of the Mary Russell stories, I'll read it with my eyeballs. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Not a bad story. But this Holmes isn't a natural progression from Doyle's Holmes. If he had been Holmes-like but not meant to be the original, I would have struggled less. This character doesn't fit in the Holmes-shaped place in my head. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
This story begins when orphaned, fifteen-year-old Mary Russell literally stumbles over Sherlock Holmes while she is out walking and reading. It narrates the growth of their friendship as she becomes his unofficial apprentice and grows into his partner.

Mary is very bright and intending to attend university to study both religion and chemistry. She is the daughter of a Jewish mother and a Christian father from California. She is an heiress currently under the guardianship of an aunt who dislikes her and is indifferent to her care. She finds a home where she is accepted, cared for, and loved with Sherlock Holmes and Mrs. Hudson.

This story talks about her early cases from discovering who stole the cashbox and some hams from a pub her farm manager's lady friend owns to the kidnapping of an American Senator's six-year-old daughter to attacks from a secret adversary who uses bombs and bullets to try to murder Sherlock and any of his friends.

I enjoyed this different view of Sherlock Holmes in his country retirement but who hasn't stopped all investigations. It was intriguing to see him through the eyes of a modern young woman who is his match in intellect though lacking his training and exeperience.

I loved the setting and time period. Mary and Sherlock's adventures take place in the shadow of World War I and see them traveling to the Holy Land to get away from their English villain and also solve a problem for Sherlock's brother Mycroft. The descriptions and Mary's reactions to her times in the Holy Land were very vivid.

Jenny Sterlin had a great voice for Mary but was somewhat too soprano to handle Sherlock as well despite the textual information that his voice was higher than the average male. However, she manages to do a very good job with the emotions and attitudes of the characters. The pacing was excellent and the mysteries compelling.

This was an excellent introduction to characters who have appeared in seventeen books now that CASTLE SHADE has been released. It is a wonderful series filled with great historical detail, actual historical figures, and mysteries surrounding them which enable Mary and Sherlock to shine. ( )
  kmartin802 | Apr 11, 2021 |

Laurie R. Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For another M.R., my mother, Mary Richardson
I was fifteen when I first met Sherlock Holmes, fifteen years old with my nose in a book as I walked the Sussex Downs, and I nearly stepped on him.
He said nothing. Very sarcastically.
My main passions were becoming theoretical Mathematics and the complexities of Rabbinic Judaism, two topics which are dissimilar only on the surface.

U raskošnoj galeriji likova koju je za sobom ostavio Arthur Conan Doyle gdje središnje mjesto zauzima portret Sherlocka Holmesa, pored njega, osim slike dr. Watsona, ostao je prazan okvir savršeno podoban da udomi prkosni profil jedne gospođice.
Američka književnica Laurie R. King, dobitnica dviju prestižnih nagrada za najbolji kriminalistički roman godine, odvažno je odlučila ispuniti taj okvir likom mlade Mary Russell.
Jednog sunčanog dana u travnju 1915. nedaleko od svoje kuće u Sussexu Mary Russell umalo je nagazila na pognuta pedesetogodišnjaka potpuno zaokupljena promatranjem pčela. Drska i načitana, petnaestogodišnjakinja briljantna uma i zadivljujuće sposobnosti dedukcije, izmamit će od inače ženama nesklonog Holmesa iznenađen komentar. “Pa to zna razmišljati!”
Tako će početi naukovanje Mary Russell, buduće suradnice djelomično umirovljenog slavnog detektiva Sherlocka Holmesa. Njihove zajedničke avanture zabilježene su u pet dosad objavljenih romana i zacijelo predstavljaju najvjerniji nastavak književnog rada Arthura Conana Doylea.
Laurie R. King u svojim je djelima uspjela vjerodostojno dočarati ton, ugođaj i duh vremena, zadržavši izvornu cjelovitost Holmesova karaktera i pritom kao ravnopravnu protutežu stvorila potpuno samostalan, oštrouman, duhovit i zanosan ženski lik.
Roman Pčelareva naučnica Laurie R. King s engleskoga je, u ukradenom vremenu između dvije Patricije Cornwell, prevela Martina Gračanin, a ilustraciju na naslovnici izradio je Igor Kordej, uz napomenu da su oba crna lovca namjerno naslikana na bijelim poljima jer negativci uvijek igraju prljavo.
Old Holmes meets his match
She's his child-bride and partner
Together they sleuth
(pickupsticks)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,715,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible