The City Who Fought (Brainship) by Anne…

The City Who Fought (Brainship) (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Anne McCaffrey

Simeon was bored, not with being a shellperson, but with running the mining and processing station that made up his body . So when the arrival of an out-of-control refugee ship interrupted his latest wargame (Simeon's hobby) the excitement was welcome.
Member:KnightElite
Title:The City Who Fought (Brainship)
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Baen (1994), Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages

Work Information

The City Who Fought by Anne McCaffrey (1993)

I hadn't read the Brainship books in years so I decided it was time for a re-read and I happy to report that they stood up to the test of time. I really enjoyed the story and found myself very interested in the characters in these books. I am super glad I read them again. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
In McCaffrey's Brainships universe, children who are born with an immobilizing or other severe disability are raised and educated to be the 'brains' that steer Starships, as well as other large-scale establishments. They are also assigned a "Brawn" to be their companion and assist with activities that can only be done by a person with a functional body.
This is the first book in the series that focuses around the "brain" that runs a space station instead of a ship. Since Simeon is stationary, his adventures are not as wide ranging as previous protagonists in the series, but no less fascinating.
In addition to an engaging and suspenseful storyline involving a invasion of Simeon's city by some evil alien pirates, the book also deals with some fascinating philosophical and psychological themes. Simeon was quite comfortable with his previous Brawn and resents having been assigned a new one, particularly a female. I was not a fan of him at first due to his chauvinistic and patronizing treatment of Channa. She teaches him a lesson, though, and proves herself a formidable foe to the Kolnari. ( )
  EmScape | Oct 31, 2020 |
This series was my guilty pleasure for a while. It's extra weird, but kept me going back for the next in the series. It's been about 7 years since I've read this, and I'm kind of tempted to reread these as a winter break treat. ( )
  bookbrig | Oct 25, 2020 |
I enjoyed at well enough. I still think I would enjoy being a "shell person"… This was just not the best of the series. ( )
  WorthyWoman | Jul 23, 2014 |
What can I say, I just love brainships! This book consists of two halves: in the first half brainship Simeon gets to know his new brawn Channa. In the second half, the space station needs to defend itself from atrocious pirates. I liked the characters and their interactions, and this book was quite relaxing to read. ( )
  zjakkelien | Jun 9, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

"How long?" Amos ben Sierra Nueva said desperately

SHELLPERSON WITH A MISSION

Simeon was bored. Not with being a shellperson - like Helva or Tia, he rather pitied softshells their mayfly lives and absurdly limited senses - but with running the mining and processing station that made up his "body."  So when the arrival of an out-of-control refugee ship interrupted his latest wargame (Simeon's hobby) the excitement was welcome.
Then the refugees told their story: Attack by space barbarians. Soon, long before any help could arrive from Fleet, Station SSS-900 would be in the Fist of High=-Clan Kolnar, and nobody would be bored, least of all Simeon. If anyone ws to survive, somehow he must transmute his hobby into the real thing, and become
    THE CITY WHO FOUGHT

STRICTLY AN EITHER-OR SITUATION

The data-input jumped and fizzled through the jury-rigged inputs. Pain jagged along Guiyon's nerves in sympathy with the overstressed fabric of the brainship. Anxiety ate at him as sector after sector went blank, a spreading numbness like leprosy.
     Behind him, the rosette of pursuing Kolnari ships was mostly hidden by the blaze of his own drive energies. the sleeting particles of their beam-weapons were not probing and eroding at the drive coils of the ancient, crumbling weapons. Ghost memories of the ship when it was young and strong haunted him, confusing his response. His own nutrient and oxygen feeds kept slipping past redline, and each time the emergency adjustments took longer to swing the indicators back.
We will not make Rigel Base, Guiyon knew. He would not, and the ship would not. And if they could, the softshells on board most certainly would not. I must select an alternate destination
     If there was one.

There was one. Station SSS-900, which will soon become The City Who Fought - or the City Who Died.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,525,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible