The Vampyre - A Tale by John William…

The Vampyre - A Tale by John William Polidori (edition 2020)

by John William Polidori (Author), Skyhigh Publications (Illustrator)

422,873,704 (3.5)None
Member:obloquy
Title:The Vampyre - A Tale by John William Polidori
Authors:John William Polidori (Author)
Other authors:Skyhigh Publications (Illustrator)
Info:Independently published (2020), 74 pages

The Vampyre - A Tale by John William Polidori by John William Polidori

No tags

The Vampyre" is a short work of prose fiction written in 1819 by John William Polidori taken from the story Lord Byron told as part of a contest among Polidori, Mary Shelley, Lord Byron, and Percy Shelley. The same contest produced the novel Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus.
  MUHAMMADHARIS | Oct 19, 2021 |
Vampyre by John William Polidori is a 2017 Open Road Media publication. (Originally published in 1819)

I’ve been meaning to read this short story for years. Every fall when I find myself in the mood for a good scary story, I pause to consider this book, then I see the ratings and reviews, and give it a pass. This year, I decided that, because it was written even before Bram Stroker’s vampire masterpiece, I really should check it out. It is such a short story that it would take no time to read it, and then I could decide for myself if the ratings were justified or not.

Honestly, I don’t see why people have judged this book so harshly. It’s subtle, for sure, and it doesn’t have much going on, as far as bloody graphics go.

Still, when one thinks back to the time period the book was written in, and the many rumors that circulated about the ‘undead’, I think the atmosphere was probably unsettling to readers of that time, and it effectively captured a sinister sense of foreboding in an extremely sparse amount of time and space.

I think some modern readers are so jaded and desensitized they have trouble sensing atmospheric nuance. Personally, I thought the book, short as it was, had a few chilling moments- they just weren't dripping in blood and gore...

I'll skip the lecture on how an atmosphere is harder to create because I'm sure it would just fall on deaf ears.

Nevertheless-

The story is too brief to cover more than just the basics of vampire lore- but it does set the stage for the classic tales of the undead that came later, and it is quite apparent these later stories 'borrowed' from this tale- and as such, it deserves its place in history.

Not only that, but the story is also part of the writing challenge between Bryon, Shelley and Polidori- a challenge that produced Shelley’s Frankenstein- so there is that.

The story is fairly simple, not groundbreaking like Shelley's work, by any means, but certainly not as bad as everyone made it sound. ( )
  gpangel | Sep 14, 2021 |

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,226,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible