Innate Magic (The Marrowbone Spells #1) by…

Innate Magic (The Marrowbone Spells #1) (edition 2021)

by Shannon Fay

Delightfully cheeky, unquestionably charming, and sometimes maddeningly naive, cloth mage Paul Gallagher is desperately trying to make a name for himself in a reimagined postwar London. But in a world where magic is commonplace, sewing enchanted clothes is seen as little more than a frivolous distraction. Paul is hiding a secret, however: he possesses a powerful--and illegal--innate magic that could help him achieve his wildest dreams. Unfortunately, Paul confides in the wrong person--his latest crush, Captain Hector Hollister--and is drawn into a sinister plot that risks reigniting the machinery of war. To make matters worse, the pretty American gossip reporter Paul just met reveals her personal quest to expose a government cover-up may be related to Hollister's magical goals. When Hollister threatens the life of Paul's dearest friend, he realizes that his poor judgement has put not only his family and friends in danger, but also the whole world. The only way to set things right may be for Paul to undergo the dangerous ritual to become Court Magician--the most powerful magician in the country. But is becoming part of the institution the best way to enact change in a terribly unjust society?… (more)
Member:Spencer28
Title:Innate Magic (The Marrowbone Spells #1)
Authors:Shannon Fay
Info:47 North, Kindle Edition, 384 pages

Work Information

Innate Magic by Shannon Fay

Dropped at 27%. The world seems original but I couldn't connect with any of the characters, and the main one is obnoxious and self-centered. I just lost interest.
  brittaniethekid | Jul 7, 2022 |
This book was not what I thought it was going to be. I first thought that this was going to be gayer than it was. It was still good for what it was. A lot about God and religion for me liking. THe main character also wasn't my favorite person neither was the main love interest. But Thomas was my favorite character. I would/want to protect him from everything. I might read the second one once it comes out. Possibly just to read what happens to Thomas. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 15, 2022 |
Really not for me. I got about a third of the way through and couldn't tolerate the self-obsessed, sex-obsessed, maker-of-bad-choices protagonist any longer as he got himself twisted further and further into weird plots. I skipped to the end to see if it was worth finishing - and thought I was reading an excerpt of the next book; it's a completely different plot, and a different POV, in the last chapter. Skimmed back a bit, and apparently those weird plots just keep twisting further and further into weirdness - and their consequences lead to the plot and problems for the next book (thus the last chapter). If you enjoyed The Lies of Locke Lamora or The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms - if you like manipulators and twisty plots - try this, you may love it. Not me. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jan 6, 2022 |
didn't hold my interest ( )
  Tip44 | Dec 29, 2021 |
This is a highly enjoyable book that feels both cozy and original in so many ways! I was fortunate enough to get an early copy and sent along a blurb:

"Innate Magic romps about a magic-infused mid-20th century London with a plot packed with both charm and grit. What a fun kick-off to a new series!" ( )
  ladycato | Aug 15, 2021 |

Shannon Fayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Faceout Studio / Jeff MillerCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kenny, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,958,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible