A View Most Glorious

by Regina Scott

Reluctant socialite Coraline Baxter longs to live a life of significance and leave her mark on the world. When her local suffragette group asks her to climb Mount Rainier to raise awareness of their cause, she jumps at the chance, even though she has absolutely no climbing experience. If she can do it, any woman can do it. And after her mother issues an ultimatum--that Cora marry the man of her mother's choosing if she is not successful--Cora must do it. But she can't do it alone.Noted mountain guide Nathan Hardee initially refuses to help Cora, but has a change of heart when he sees what is at stake. He knows enough about the man Cora's mother has chosen to know that the headstrong young woman should have nothing to do with him, much less marry him.Climbing Rainier will require all of Cora's fortitude and will lead her and Nathan to rediscover their faith in God and humanity. These two loners make unlikely partners in righting a wrong and may just discover that only together is the view most glorious.… (more)

I really liked this book, even though I haven't been anywhere near Mt. Rainier. (Tacoma.) I learned a lot and liked the romance between Cora and Nathan. I wish we could know what happened after they got married, although I'm sure the author is off studying another National Park for another book. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jul 11, 2022 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. It's a fairly formulaic historical romance, but it's a cut above most of the ones I've read. The protagonist wants to climb a mountain to bring publicity to the suffrage movement and hires a guide to help her. Thus ensues the typical back and forth of a romance novel, but the characters are unique and interesting, and the descriptions of how difficult it was to climb a high elevation mountain during a time when little existed in the way of mountain climbing equipment. It was truly dangerous and highly difficult. These scenes made the book exciting and suspenseful. I also enjoyed the suffrage history in this story. Overall, this was a fun read. ( )
  drsyko | Jun 8, 2022 |
Coraline makes a deal, a climb to the top of Mt Rainier in exchange for her step father’s bank getting bailed out. She knows it will take all she has,but she has the motivation for it. She realizes she needs help and turns to Nathan for help. Nathan knows his way around and has extra motivation as well. He agrees to help Coraline out in the climb to the top. Along the way they will encounter more than expected.
I really enjoyed this look in to the past and felt like I was there at times along the way.

I received a copy to read, the review is mine. ( )
  polarmath | Nov 10, 2021 |
Fighting for women’s suffrage, climbing Mt. Rainier, and fighting society’s unnecessary restrictions, are all themes Regina Scott deals with in A View Most Glorious. Coraline Baxter decides to climb Mt. Rainier (or is it Tacoma?) with social outcast and mountain guide, Nathan Hardee. Doing so will draw attention to her cause and free her of her mother’s matrimonial expectations.
I don’t know if I was delighted or dismayed by the big loop Scott throws the reader for as a character makes a totally unexpected decision. It certainly upped the ante for the outcome of the perilous journey!
Faith is a quiet, steadying influence in both Hardee’s life and the book. Several times, Nathan can be found with his Bible in hand, worshipping outdoors by himself before the day begins. Scott doesn't preach in this story, but the power of the Scripture and its Creator are very evident.
I felt for pitiful Cora, who can stand up for and take care of herself- almost. She is so strong and determined, and she can handle herself at a job in a man’s world. She can be the voice for the suffragettes in Tacoma. Yet, she cannot stand against her mother’s iron will.
I loved Cora’s stepfather. He cares for her in a most loving, diligent way. He sacrifices much for Cora and manages to be a go-between for Cora and her mother, without ruffling feathers. Now, if he can just develop a spine!
Nathan is rough around the edges, but a gem on the interior. The question is, whether he and Cora can find a common calling, or whether Cora will follow society’s designs.
I received a copy of this book from RevellReads via NetGalley. All opinions are my own, and no positive review was required. ( )
  Becky_L | Nov 5, 2021 |
“A View Most Glorious” by Regina Scott is the third book in the “American Wonders Collection” series. It is absolutely fine as a stand-alone. This installment tells the story of Cora, a young suffragette who decides to prove her independence, make a statement about the abilities of women, and avoid a marriage she doesn't want by climbing Mt. Rainier.

This book is definitely character driven. Both main characters (Cora and her mountain guide Nathan) are incredibly well-written. The reader will feel like he/she is gradually getting to know real people as the story moves along and more and more about the characters’ pasts, families, and personalities are revealed. This is a historical romance, so it’s not surprising that feelings grow between the two. I found it interesting that two people from high society backgrounds, both looking for more out of life, managed to find each other. It was fascinating to watch their relationship develop.

Although the romance is lovely, it is only one part of what this book has to offer. The relationship unfolds as the couple undertakes a climb of Mt. Ranier together. The reader will learn a lot about the geography of that area, and what it was like to be undertake such a challenge without the benefit of modern equipment and safety gear. There is also plenty of information about daily life, religion, clothing, food, and the role of women during that time. Despite learning quite a bit, you will never be bored or feel like you’re sitting in a history lecture. All of this information is presented as part of the story, and is truly fascinating!

Since this is a Christian novel, I’ll address the role of Christianity in the story. Nathan is a devout Christian, and lives as he believes. His daily morning devotions provide an excellent example for Cora, as well as for the reader. It is always nice to read about a Christian person (Nathan) who lets his faith guide his actions without constantly announcing it and trying to force it onto others. I thought the religious aspect of this novel was handled perfectly.

5 out of 5 slices of thinly sliced, ultra-sharp Cheddar! ( )
  Simmmba | Nov 4, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Regina Scott's book A View Most Glorious was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,970,445 books! | Top bar: Always visible