The No Plot? No Problem! Novel-Writing Kit…

The No Plot? No Problem! Novel-Writing Kit (edition 2006)

by Chris Baty

Member:ccooney
Title:The No Plot? No Problem! Novel-Writing Kit
Authors:Chris Baty
Info:Chronicle Books (2006), Edition: Revised, Hardcover, 48 pages
Tags:Writing

The No Plot? No Problem! Novel-Writing Kit by Chris Baty

Note: This review is for the kit, not the book itself.

This kit is a whole lotta look, but not much else.

The booklet, flash cards, and progress log are kind of cool, though not entirely useful; I think they might be better as electronic resources.

The booklet contains a lot of statements like the one above, but no real advice for the daily practice of writing. Baty swings to the extreme opposite of most writing guides by offering all pep and no substance. The actual advice being issued really only scrapes the surface of how one goes about writing a manuscript in a month.

I also ordered Chris Baty’s original guide to NaNoWriMo, "No Plot? No Problem!," but after a month of waiting I marked it as lost in the mail. Perhaps I will try again with another seller in a few weeks, but after surveying this kit, I have to admit that my hopes for anything more substantial from Baty are low.

The kit’s contents are snarky and fun if you need a pick-me-up, but you shouldn’t expect any life-changing advice. Baty attempts to prepare you for a month-long writing endeavor with equal parts humor and advice, but the whole thing feels corny.

After seeing what he thinks will be useful in a month-long writing free-for-all (I mean, coupons promising that I will do things for other people if I miss my goals?! No, thanks. I’m already trying to write a freaking novel, I don’t need Tinker breathing down my neck about a long walk in the woods, too!), I wonder if NaNoWriMo isn’t actually just a cruel joke that Baty dreamed up one day and decided to entice a group of would-be novelists off the cliff with him.

But then I look at the warm, vibrant, optimistic crowd on Twitter, and I realize that NaNoWriMo-ers have all the support, advice, and inspiration they need in their own online community. My advice, after perusing this packet? Stick to November, or get a crowd of friends to write with you some other month, and leave this kit on the shelf.

For more of my thoughts on this book, head over to http://melodyandwords.com/2010/11/29/no-plot-no-problem-novel-writing-kit-by-chr.... ( )
  melodyaw | Nov 29, 2010 |

Aspiring novelists don't need an MFA in creative writing, a book agent, an airtight plot, or a winsome cast of characters to get a novel writtenthey don't even need to know what they're doing. All that's needed is a little determination and this high-octane kit to kick motivation into overdrive and inspire users to produce a 50,000-word book in an exhilarating, invigorating month long Noveling Adventure.

Includes:
48-page booklet
31 Daily Noveling Briefsrecommended allowances of writing advice and activities for every day of the noveling month
Guided, month long, displayable log for keeping track of progress
Motivational materials, pep-talking letters, and commitment coupons
The Mighty Badge of the Triumphant Wordsmith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:25 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,151,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible