Reparations Now! by Ashley M. Jones

Reparations Now! (edition 2021)

by Ashley M. Jones (Author)

911,735,396 (5)1
Reparations Now! asks for what's owed. In formal and non-traditional poems, award-winning poet Ashley M. Jones calls for long-overdue reparations to the Black descendants of enslaved people in the United States of America. In this, her third collection, Jones deftly takes on the worst of today--state-sanctioned violence, pandemic-induced crises, and white silence--all while uplifting Black joy. These poems explore trauma past and present, cultural and personal: the lynching of young, pregnant Mary Turner in 1918; the current white nationalist political movement; a case of infidelity. These poems, too, are a celebration of Black life and art: a beloved grandmother in rural Alabama, the music of James Brown and Al Green, and the soil where okra, pole beans, and collards thrive thanks to her father's hands.  By exploring the history of a nation where "Black oppression's not happenstance; it's the law," Jones links past harm to modern heartache and prays for a peaceful world where one finds paradise in the garden in the afternoon with her family, together, safe, and worry-free.  While exploring the ways we navigate our relationships with ourselves and others, Jones holds us all accountable, asking us to see the truth, to make amends, to honor one another.… (more)
Member:Poetry_South
Title:Reparations Now!
Authors:Ashley M. Jones (Author)
Info:Hub City Press (2021), 80 pages

Work Information

Reparations Now! by Ashley M. Jones

2C (1) new (1) to-read (1)

Reparations Now! is the most powerful poetry collection I've read this year. Ashley M. Jones' poetry is brutally, necessarily honest. That exclamation point in the title is there for a reason. If you read just one book of poems this year, choose Reparations Now!

I received a free electronic review copy of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss; the opinions are my own. ( )
  Sarah-Hope | Sep 7, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,950,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible