Listening Woman (Joe Leaphorn Novels) by…

Listening Woman (Joe Leaphorn Novels) (1978)

by Tony Hillerman

2019 reread via audiobook narrated by George Guidall, borrowed from RBDigitial ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 18, 2019 |
Book three in the Joe Leaphorn mystery series begins with Listening Woman trying to perform a cleansing / healing ritual for Hosteen Tso, an old man who refuses to divulge all he knows. The blind healer leaves Tso’s side for a few moments, during which time he is murdered. About six months later, Joe Leaphorn is nearly run off the road by a mystery man with a large dog in his car, there are reports of missing Boy Scouts, and people have reported seeing a helicopter (or helicopters) in the area.

I like Leaphorn; he’s smart, determined, physically and mentally strong, quick to respond to a threat but also deliberate and cautious. It took me quite a while to get into the rhythm of this mystery. The convoluted plot didn’t help much, and my attention wandered. Once Leaphorn got caught up in the chase, however, I was fully engaged and fairly flew through the second half of the book. ( )
  BookConcierge | Nov 10, 2018 |
Comfortable writing style and Hillerman is really starting to flesh out Joe Leaphorn in this 3rd book of a long series. I love the Navajo Way, myths, ceremonies, taboos and depictions of daily life. A fairly ambitious and slightly implausible storyline that bogs down a bit in the middle and wraps up a bit quickly. Still, a fast, enjoyable read and I’ll keep moving along to Book 4. ( )
  Zumbanista | Jul 29, 2018 |
[Some spoilers]. There were some strong pieces of story-telling that were excellent and plot developments that were were weak, which distracted me from the theme: the holiness of the Navajo Way and the importance of sand paintings to bring harmony. 'Listening Woman' was interesting and I wanted to know more about her, have her play a bigger part in unravelling the mystery. The description of Joe Leaphorn (detective) tracking through the canyons and ultimately surviving a fire were visually evocative and suspenseful. The backstory to the robberies/Wounded Knee violence was rather tiresome and felt repetitive, possibly because the plot became too convoluted. Without developing so many mini-mysteries and scenarios (did we really need Theodora Adams?), the plot might have flowed more satisfactorily. Despite those failings, it was an overall good novel, just not stellar. ( )
1 vote SandyAMcPherson | Jun 17, 2018 |
This third book in the series sees the development of the character of Joe Leaphorn into a more action-oriented policeman. He still uses his logic and knowledge of the Indian culture to solve mysteries, he is making deals with the FBI for further information, and this time he is out in the canyons chasing the bad guys while trying to understand their motives. This series has really caught my attention and I plan to continue reading as each book has increased my interest. ( )
  Bettesbooks | May 27, 2018 |
The southwest wind picked up turbulence around the San Francisco Peaks, howled across the emptiness of the Moenkopi plateau, and made a thousand strange sounds in windows of the old Hopi villages at Shongopove and Second Mesa.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061000299, Mass Market Paperback)

The state police and FBI are baffled when an old man and a teenage girl are brutally murdered. The blind Navajo Listening Woman speaks of ghosts and of witches. But Lieutenant Leaphorn of the Navajo Tribal Police knows his people as well as he knows cold-blooded killers. His incredible investigation carries him from a dead man's secret to a kidnap scheme, to a conspiracy that stretches back more than one hundred years. Leaphorn arrives at the threshold of a solution--and is greeted with the most violent confrontation of his career.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:13 -0400)

Lt. Leaphorn of Navajo tribal police investigates brutal murders of old man and teenage girl.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,433,843 books! | Top bar: Always visible