Chouette by Claire Oshetsky

Chouette (edition 2021)

by Claire Oshetsky (Author)

* 'A marvel' Rumaan Alam * 'Frighteningly elegant' iNews * 'Harrowing and magnificent' New York Times * A FIERCE, DARK FABLE ABOUT MOTHERHOOD THAT WILL GRIP YOU IN ITS TALONS AND NEVER LET GO Tiny is pregnant. Her husband is delighted. 'It's not yours,' she tells him. 'This baby will be an owl-baby.' Tiny's always been an outsider, and she knows her child will be different. When Chouette is born, Tiny's husband and family are devastated by her condition and strange appearance. Doctors tell them to expect the worst. Chouette won't learn to walk; she never speaks; she lashes out when frightened and causes chaos in public. Tiny's husband wants to make her better: 'Don't you want our daughter to have a normal life?' But Tiny thinks Chouette is perfect the way she is. As Tiny and her husband fight over what's right for their child, Chouette herself is growing. In her fierce self-possession, her untameable will, she teaches Tiny to break free of expectations - no matter what it takes. Savage, startling, possessed of a biting humour and wild love, Chouette is a dark modern fable about mothering an unusual child. It will grip you in its talons and never let go. LONGLISTED FOR THE PEN/FAULKNER AWARD… (more)
Member:vmaganti
Title:Chouette
Authors:Claire Oshetsky (Author)
Info:Ecco (2021), 256 pages

Work Information

Chouette by Claire Oshetsky

Well. I'm not even sure how to articulate my feelings about this fantastical tale. The story was very bizarre and sometimes disturbing - a human woman giving birth to an owl-baby - but also oddly beautiful. I was apprehensive about how the author was going to wrap everything up but found the ending to be weirdly satisfying. Definitely a very unusual read. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Mar 12, 2022 |
"Every day you wrench me toward a different world altogether: an older world, filled with wild, perfect creatures, singing in the dark."

A wonderfully enchanting book about motherly love and raising "special needs" children in an often unforgiving world. The author is a poet, and it shows: hypnotic sentences abound! My god, this book is just so beautiful on so many levels! Love it! ( )
  markhopp | Feb 22, 2022 |
Too bizarre and metaphorical for my taste, especially since I never really pinned down the metaphor. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 18, 2022 |
I’m not even going to pretend to understand what I just read. CHOUETTE by Claire Oshetsky from @eccobooks is about a mother who gives birth to an owl-baby and the lengths that she’ll go to to protect her daughter, who is a savage, wild, untamed thing. It is a fascinating, sometimes unnerving bit of magical (sur)realism that I couldn’t put down, but don’t know that I can adequately explain. You’ll need to experience the book itself to understand what I mean. A big thanks to @a.novel.concept for introducing me to this strange, mesmerizing novel. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jan 25, 2022 |
I love a good allegory. This story deals with the demands and complexities of raising a child with extraordinary needs. Where there is no clear right or wrong decisions. It was dark and a bit disturbing at times and it left me with a lot on my mind. ( )
  Iudita | Jan 7, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,613,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible