The Passing Storm: A Novel

by Christine Nolfi

Early into the tempestuous decade of her thirties, Rae Langdon struggles to work through a grief she never anticipated. With her father, Connor, she tends to their Ohio farm, a forty-acre spread that itself has enjoyed better days. As memories sweep through her, some too precious to bear, Rae gives shelter from a brutal winter to a teenager named Quinn Galecki. Quinn has been thrown out by his parents, a couple too troubled to help steer the misunderstood boy through his own losses. Now Quinn has found a temporary home with the Langdons, and an unexpected kinship, because Rae, Quinn, and Connor share a past and understand one another's pain. But its depths, and all its revelations and secrets, have yet to come to light. To finally move forward, Rae must confront them and also fight for Quinn, whose parents have other plans in mind for their son. With forgiveness, love, and the spring thaw, there might be hope for a new season, a second chance Rae believed in her heart was gone forever.… (more)

This is the first book I’ve read written by Christine Nolfi and I want to read more. She is a gifted storyteller. This story of Rae, her father, mother, daughter, and friends really touched my heart. It is possible to survive, move forward and find happiness. ( )
  LuLibro | Jan 22, 2024 |
Over dramatic drivel. ( )
  Tess_W | Jul 12, 2023 |
It felt more like 4 stars but since there aren't that many reviews, I'll give it 5 because I think it should be more popular. I expected a trashy thriller but it definitely wasn't that at all. It was a little bit slow for my taste and the beginning was a bit jarring since it felt like the reader was lacking context for anything happening. But later on, I connected more to the story-- I really appreciated the characters and felt for them. ( )
  ninagl | Jan 7, 2023 |
This book is a beautifully written story about how grief affects people and how they deal with it. There are several characters who are trying to live with different levels of grief. They want to go on with life but are continually pulled back into the grief that affected them so much. Here are the main characters:

Rae is dealing with grief from the loss of her mother and recently from the loss of her daughter. She wants to blame someone for her daughter's death to make herself feel better but instead she is cutting herself off from her friends.

Conner, Rae's father is still dealing with the loss of his wife. Their farm has fallen into disrepair and he isn't able to take care of it until Quinn starts to help him.

Quinn, an 18 year old boy who has been kicked out of the house by his alcoholic and abusive parents. He was friends with Rae's daughter and knows what happened to end her life. Rae wants to blame him for her daughter's death but then feels sorry for him when his parents kick him out so she invites him into her home and family.

Will the three of them be able to move forward by sharing their feelings about the death of Lark? Will they be able to forgive each other but most of all themselves and begin their lives again?

This is an emotional look at dealing with loss. It's about dealing with grief, love, family and friendship and reconciliation. It's my first book by this author and I plan to read some of her earlier books. ( )
  susan0316 | Dec 28, 2021 |
I always know I’ll have a good story when reading a book by this author. A little bit different from her usual writing, but no less enjoyable.

In every lifetime there are passing storms….some are quick, forgettable and others change our lives. Rae has had her share of these storms, one in particular, The White Hurricane, changed her family’s life and set her on a different path. Rae has had a a few tough years; pain, heartache and grief, which has turned her a tad hard and bitter. Those closest to her know what is under this hard exterior, a giving women who has locked her heart away. Resilience, hope and strength are front and foremost in this book.

Thanks to Ms. Nolfi, Lake Union Publishing for this ARC. Opinion is mine alone. ( )
  LoriKBoyd | Oct 25, 2021 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,609,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible