The Schoolteacher of Saint-Michel: inspired…

by Sarah Steele (Author)

8None1,917,305 (3.5)None
The war taught her to fight. The children taught her to hope... Inspired by real acts of bravery and resistance, The Schoolteacher of Saint Michel is a heartrending and deeply moving story of one woman's courage and sacrifice during World War II, from the USA Today bestselling author of The Missing Piece of Nancy Moon. This exquisitely beautiful novel is perfect for readers of The Rose Code by Kate Quinn, The Postmistress, Lilac Girls and The Girl from Vichy. 'An emotional, beautifully constructed read. I loved the way the clues from the past and present slowly knitted together, answering the questions that had been missing their answers for so long' Sunday Times bestselling author Jill Mansell 'A beautifully worked tale of bravery, woven into the reality of a time we can't forget' Mandy Robotham, author of The Berlin Girl 'Gripping, at times heartbreaking, but ultimately uplifting, I found this beautifully written novel impossible to put down' Sunday Times bestselling author Katie Fforde 'My darling girl, I need you to find someone for me . . .' France, 1942. At the end of the day, the schoolteacher releases her pupils. She checks they have their identity passes, and warns them not to stop until the German guards have let them through the barrier that separates occupied France from Free France. As the little ones fly across the border and into their mothers' arms, she breathes a sigh of relief. No one is safe now. Not even the children. Berkshire, present day. A letter left to her by her beloved late grandmother Gigi takes Hannah Stone on a journey deep into the heart of the Dordogne landscape. As she begins to unravel a forgotten history of wartime bravery and sacrifice, she discovers the heartrending secret that binds her grandmother to a village schoolteacher, the remarkable Lucie Laval . . . 'An engaging tale of courage and friendship. A triumph!' Gill Paul 'Evocative writing and the storytelling is masterful. It really draws the reader in' Felicity Hayes-McCoy Readers ADORE The Schoolteacher of Saint Michel: 'I loved this book, I finished reading it on VE Day. It is certainly a fitting tribute to the everyday people in France who resisted the German occupation in WW2. 5 stars' 'Absolutely fabulous. Highly recommend this. I've read The Missing Pieces of Nancy Moon - this is even better' 'Such a poignant story and beautiful characters. I can highly recommend this book' 'A lovely book, by turns emotional, exciting and heart-rending. The story is beautifully told. A book that will stay with me. Definitely recommended, particularly to anyone with an interest in World War II historical novels' 'A lovely story of courage and hope at a time of extreme adversity. Wonderfully written, descriptive and poignant. This one is special' 'Sheer escapism, beautifully written. I highly recommend it'… (more)
Member:Clund
Title:The Schoolteacher of Saint-Michel: inspired by real acts of resistance, a heartrending story of one woman's courage in WW2
Authors:Sarah Steele (Author)
Info:Review (2021)
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

Work Information

The Schoolteacher of Saint-Michel: inspired by real acts of resistance, a heartrending story of one woman's courage in WW2 by Sarah Steele

No tags

No reviews

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,193,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible