SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Regaining Mercy: Elnora Island (Independence Islands Book 12)

by Carolyn Miller

552,501,264 (4.6)None

No tags

What I think you should know:
Regaining Mercy, a contemporary Christian Romance by Carolyn Miller is the twelfth book in the Independence Island Series and the sixth book set on Elnora Island. This book features several characters from previous books and does give spoilers for those characters, however it can be read as a standalone.

What you might need to know:
Mindy’s son demonstrates many characteristics associated with the Autism Spectrum. Mindy has many regrets from her past that leave her feeling unworthy.

What I think about this this book:
I love getting to know characters that are just briefly mentioned in previous books, in this story we get to know Dermot who works at Greener Gardens. We also meet Mercy, a single Mom who is struggling to stay afloat while dealing with the judgement of some vocal critics in her small community. I really enjoyed getting to know both of them along with Jon and his best friend Mercy. While she is only a child and overall played a small part in the story I love how Mercy showed the acceptance and love that we all need to show others. This was a really sweet story with enough action to keep it interesting.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Celebrate Lit, this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  DonnaC83 | Aug 5, 2021 |
Sometimes moms have to take drastic measures in order to take care of their children, and Mindy Murray finds herself in such a set of circumstances. Going on a reality show in order to take care of her child seems like a good idea that turns wrong in the end. But her earlier life causes problems as well when she returns to her small island community.

Some people on the island recognize Mindy’s need for support and encouragement. Dermott Reilly, his coworkers, her neighbor, and a few other people show love and compassion towards Mindy and her son. This book illustrates the difficulties life takes us on, and how things like a tropical storm and a child who goes missing provide opportunities to show God’s love to others.

This story captured my attention from the first chapter to the very end. I definitely found this next installment in the Independence Island Series worth reading.

I received a complimentary copy of this book, but it in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  PattiPeanut1992 | Aug 2, 2021 |
Carolyn Miller is the author of some of my favorite Regency romances, but this book proves her talent for writing contemporary fiction. Regaining Mercy touches on single parenting, financial struggles, children with social issues, and the pros and cons of social media. Gossip and judgement are major factors, but this is also a story of love, hope, and learning to trust again. Dermott Reilly is a dream hero and the answer to her prayers if...Mindy can overcome her insecurities. Mindy and Dermott are both in need of a second chance, but can they find it together?

Regaining Mercy is a heartwarming story and I recommend it to all who enjoy contemporary Christian romance.

I received a copy of this book from the author and Celebrate Lit. There was no expectation of a positive review. These are my own thoughts. ( )
  fcplcataloger | Jul 28, 2021 |
If you have not started reading this series, what are you waiting for? I really liked this story and have a soft spot for your feature character Mindy. While I have never been on a reality show, I can relate to her in other ways. Her childhood was not the best and it has left scars on her heart. It broke my heart that others judged her because her parents were not the best role models.

Mindy is trying to survive and support her son the best way she can. Now maybe she didn’t make the best decision by being on a show but all she wanted was to provide for her son Jon. Coming back to the island after her appearance on the show brings out sone very unfriendly people who have no problem insulting her. I cringed at the comments made by some of the people about Mindy. There is some positive in her life though. Her neighbor Tina is a blessing to Mindy and is always there to lend a hand. She is a perfect example of helping those in need and loving unconditionally. I loved how Tina stood by Mindy as she struggles with her life. She gives words of encouragement and is a great person to lean on.

Dermott was a good character who has a big heart. He is friends with Mindy and stands up for her when someone says hurtful things to her. That part of the story in the grocery store reminded me of things happening today. We need to stand up for each other and not allow hatred and bullying to happen. I thought the author did a great job of illustrating how important it is for us to speak up and not allow the enemy to damage a person’s self esteem.

I want to mention Jon because I think he is a very important character in the story. Mindy has raised him on her own and we see glimpses of Jon struggling with interacting with people. I know Mindy wanted to seek help for him, but money was a factor and I think pride was peeking its head out as well. She doesn’t want to accept help because she feels like a failure. But really what she is doing is not allowing Jon to get the help he needs to live a normal life.

Mindy is in desperate need of finding her way back to God. She has a problem with trust, pride and forgiveness. It was interesting to see how the author addressed these topics with faith. I enjoyed the story and would love to see a follow up story about her.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Jul 24, 2021 |
Regaining Mercy by Carolyn Miller is book 12 in the Independence Island Series. This is a series that is being written by six different authors and covers five different island. While these are great stand alone stories, they also touch on people and places from earlier stories, so it is best to read the series in order.

In this story we meet Mindy, a young single mom, who went on a reality tv show to help make money to support her son. While many people in the area look down on her because of this, Dermott gives her a chance to use her skills and talents to help boost business for Greener Gardens.

I really enjoyed reading this story. This is a well written, easy to read story with caring characters. I enjoyed the strength Mindy had to do what was needed for her son’s sake as well as the friendship and support she received from her neighbor, Tina, and Dermott. I enjoyed the friendship she had with Tina and her family.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author and publisher. This is my honest review. ( )
  eccl | Jul 21, 2021 |

Genres

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,365,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible