Rosalind Franklin (Little People, BIG DREAMS, 65)

by Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegara, Naomi Wilkinson (Illustrator)

1551,391,216 (4.25)None
In this book from the critically acclaimed, multimillion-copy best-selling Little People, BIG DREAMS series, discover the life of Rosalind Franklin, the scientist who was crucial to the discovery of the double helix in DNA.

It's science time! Rosalind Franklin was a hero during my high school years. I was big into the "women of the world" who did great and amazing things. I learned so much in chemistry class about her and wanted to be a chemist. Well, that didn't end up happening but I still love seeing and hearing her story. It was only a matter of time before she made her way into this fantastic series!

I definitely recommend picking this one up if you want to read non-fiction picture books with some fantastic STEM info in it!

The illustrations are kind of goofy and very childish, making this book not feel so... smart. It's weird, and I don't really like it. But that's just my personal opinion.

Three out of five stars.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange of an honest review. ( )
  Briars_Reviews | Aug 4, 2023 |
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
  fernandie | Sep 15, 2022 |
I love when Little People Big Dreams does an unexpected person that needs more recognition. Roslind Franklin is just such a person. She is why we know that DNA is a double helix. She also did work on coal and viruses. She is an important historical figure that kids should know, and I am glad there is now a chance for that. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | Sep 29, 2021 |
‘’I see no reason to believe that a creator of protoplasm or primaeval matter, if such there be, has any reason to be interested in our insignificant race in a tiny corner of the universe, and still less in us, as still more insignificant individuals. Again, I see no reason why the belief that we are insignificant or fortuitous should lessen our faith.’’

Rosalind Franklin

London, 25 July 1920. A girl is born into a British Jewish family. More interested in board games than dolls, she attended St. Paul’s and fell in love with chemistry. She gave a university scholarship to a student that needed it more and left the lab at the University of Cambridge when she realised that the one ‘’in charge’’ didn’t want a woman to be a member of his narrow-minded elite.

She went on to study coal and its dynamics. The result? She saved uncountable lives when her discoveries led the British Army to improve masks during the Second World War. In the meantime, every night she helped families find shelter during the Luftwaffe air raids that created a living Hell. Her next stop was Paris and the study of the almost invisible but so vital substance. The study of DNA was fast becoming an obsession in science and no one was as qualified as Rosalind. A hundred hours later, Rosalind and Raymond Gosling had the famous Photo 51 in their hands. The identification of the structure of DNA had begun. The ‘secret of life’, the double helix structure changed science forever. It changed our lives forever.

BUT. As is always the case, a woman scientist HAS to go unnoticed. James Watson and Francis Crick practically stole her discovery and presented it as their own. They were awarded a Nobel Prize (another joke of an award, full of corruption, prejudices, and pure marketing), Rosalind’s name was never mentioned. However, she was undeterred, prejudice was a foe she had to fight throughout her life. She went on to study the structure and behaviour of viruses.

Her tireless efforts saved lives. From medicine to forensics, her discoveries changed the world.

Her name was Rosalind Franklin.

‘’Science and everyday life cannot and should not be separated.’’

Rosalind Franklin

Many thanks to Frances Lincoln Children’s Books and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com/ ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Jul 30, 2021 |
Little People, BIG DREAMS

One of a series for adults to read to children and for ESL to polish their English and learn about people who have shaped their world. This one tells about the short life of an important physicist who proved the genetic purpose of the double helix and allowed others to take the credit. Science was more important to her than competition for prizes.
The illustrations that are mostly simple and forthright as created by Naomi Wilkinson.
I requested and received a free temporary ebook copy from Quarto Publishing Group – Frances Lincoln Children's Books via NetGalley. Thank you! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jul 23, 2021 |

Maria Isabel Sanchez Vegaraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wilkinson, NaomiIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,182,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible