The Web of Meaning: Integrating Science and Traditional Wisdom to Find our Place in the Universe

by Jeremy R. Lent

381657,010 (5)3
"A profound personal meditation on human existence and a tour-de-force weaving together of historic and contemporary thought on the deepest question of all: why are we here?" -- Gabor Maté M.D., author, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts As our civilization careens toward climate breakdown, ecological destruction, and gaping inequality, people are losing their existential moorings. The dominant worldview of disconnection, which tells us we are split between mind and body, separate from each other, and at odds with the natural world, has been invalidated by modern science. Award-winning author, Jeremy Lent, investigates humanity's age-old questions - Who am I? Why am I? How should I live? - from a fresh perspective, weaving together findings from modern systems thinking, evolutionary biology, and cognitive neuroscience with insights from Buddhism, Taoism, and Indigenous wisdom. The result is a breathtaking accomplishment: a rich, coherent worldview based on a deep recognition of connectedness within ourselves, between each other, and with the entire natural world. It offers a compelling foundation for a new philosophical framework that could enable humanity to thrive sustainably on a flourishing Earth. The Web of Meaning is for everyone looking for deep and coherent answers to the crisis of civilization.… (more)

This is the best book that I have read this year indeed, the best I have read for many a year.

I may well need to re-read it to get anywhere near to a full appreciation of the views expressed. Jeremy Lent's book offers a new perspective on the meaning of life. It is well reasoned and supported with ample evidence. It is hard to gain say the findings but please don't ask me to explain them, yet: get the book and learn for yourself - it'll be worth it, I promise. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Oct 22, 2022 |

Jeremy R. Lent is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,125,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible