Crashing Through: A True Story of Risk,…

Crashing Through: A True Story of Risk, Adventure, and the Man Who Dared… (2007)

by Robert Kurson

Again, Kurson is a talented story teller, but the subject of this book was a very unappealing character. That alone brought the enjoyment of this book down for me. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
What an adventure! This man did so much as a blind man. When he regains his sight, his discoveries of how the brain works are amazing. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
I found Robert Kurson's: Crashing Through fascinating. Follows in some detail Kurson's life—focusing on his blinding as a child and the restoration of his sight as an adult. Good for anyone interested in how our brains interpret what we see and how we understand our world. Recommended by Margot Casstevens
  SFCC | Jun 4, 2013 |
A cool story, but his writing style sounded like he was talking to kids. I can't put my finger on why, exactly.
The man in the book has been blind since the age of 3 and then gets his sight restored and has to try to understand what his eyes are seeing. Very cool from a neurological point of view, although the guy himself seems like he would be exhausting to be around for long, always charging around all "I will be the best I can be! And experience everything! Rar!"
Kurson's Shadow Divers was also exciting (more so, in fact)--he does have a knack for finding interesting people to write about, but don't read him for the actual writing. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
A very interesting story of a very interesting man. The blending of narrative, biography and medical information was done very well. Satisfied the desire to know as much as possible about the man and the medicine. Sometimes it was difficult to believe all the "crashing through" stories, but I guess there really are some folks who live life in the extreme from childhood on. Good read! ( )
  hemlokgang | Nov 15, 2012 |

Mike May spent his life crashing through. Blinded at age three, he defied expectations by breaking world records in downhill speed skiing, joining the CIA, and becoming a successful inventor, entrepreneur, and family man. He had never yearned for vision. Then, in 1999, a chance encounter brought startling news: a revolutionary stem cell transplant surgery could restore May’s vision. It would allow him to drive, to read, to see his children’s faces. But the procedure was filled with gambles, some of them deadly, others beyond May’s wildest dreams. Beautifully written and thrillingly told, Crashing Through is a journey of suspense, daring, romance, and insight into the mysteries of vision and the brain. Robert Kurson gives us a fascinating account of one man’s choice to explore what it means to see–and to truly live.

Praise for the National Bestseller Crashing Through:

“An incredible human story [told] in gripping fashion . . . a great read.”
–Chicago Sun-Times

“Inspiring.”
–USA Today

“[An] astonishing story . . . memorably told . . . May is remarkable. . . . Don’t be surprised if your own vision mists over now and then.”
–Chicago Tribune

“[A] moving account [of] an extraordinary character.”
–People

“Terrific . . . [a] genuinely fascinating account of the nature of human vision.”
–The Washington Post

“Kurson is a man with natural curiosity and one who can feel the excitement life has to offer. One of his great gifts is he makes you feel it, too.”
–The Kansas City Star

“Propulsive . . . a gripping adventure story.”
–Entertainment Weekly

NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:59 -0400)

"Mike May spent his life crashing through. Blinded at age three, he defied expectations by breaking world records in downhill speed skiing, joining the CIA, and becoming a successful inventor, entrepreneur, and family man. He had never yearned for vision." "Then, in 1999, a chance encounter brought startling news: a revolutionary stem cell transplant surgery could restore May's vision. It would allow him to drive, to read, to see his children's faces. He began to contemplate an astonishing new world: Would music still sound the same? Would sex be different? Would he recognize himself in the mirror? Would his marriage survive? Would he still be Mike May?""The procedure was filled with risks, some of them deadly, others beyond May's wildest dreams. And even if the surgery worked, history was against him. Fewer than twenty cases were known worldwide in which a person gained vision after a lifetime of blindness. Each of those people suffered desperate consequences we can scarcely imagine." "There were countless reasons for May to refuse vision. He could think of only a single reason to go forward. Whatever his decision, he knew it would change his life." "Robert Kurson gives us an account of one man's choice to explore what it means to see - and to truly live."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,292,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible