The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story by…

The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story (original 2021; edition 2021)

by Nikole Hannah-Jones (Creator), The New York Times Magazine (Creator), Caitlin Roper (Editor), Ilena Silverman (Editor), Jake Silverstein (Editor)

A dramatic expansion of a groundbreaking work of journalism, The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story offers a profoundly revealing vision of the American past and present. In late August 1619, a ship arrived in the British colony of Virginia bearing a cargo of twenty to thirty enslaved people from Africa. Their arrival led to the barbaric and unprecedented system of American chattel slavery that would last for the next 250 years. This is sometimes referred to as the country's original sin, but it is more than that: It is the source of so much that still defines the United States. The New York Times Magazine's award-winning "1619 Project" issue reframed our understanding of American history by placing slavery and its continuing legacy at the center of our national narrative. This new book substantially expands on that work, weaving together eighteen essays that explore the legacy of slavery in present-day America with thirty-six poems and works of fiction that illuminate key moments of oppression, struggle, and resistance. The essays show how the inheritance of 1619 reaches into every part of contemporary American society, from politics, music, diet, traffic, and citizenship to capitalism, religion, and our democracy itself. This is a book that speaks directly to our current moment, contextualizing the systems of race and caste within which we operate today. It reveals long-glossed-over truths around our nation's founding and construction--and the way that the legacy of slavery did not end with emancipation, but continues to shape contemporary American life. Featuring contributions from: Leslie Alexander * Michelle Alexander * Carol Anderson * Joshua Bennett * Reginald Dwayne Betts * Jamelle Bouie * Anthea Butler * Matthew Desmond * Rita Dove * Camille T. Dungy * Cornelius Eady * Eve L. Ewing * Nikky Finney * Vievee Francis * Yaa Gyasi * Forrest Hamer * Terrance Hayes * Kimberly Annece Henderson * Jeneen Interlandi * Honorée Fanonne Jeffers * Barry Jenkins * Tyehimba Jess * Martha S. Jones * Robert Jones, Jr. * A. Van Jordan * Ibram X. Kendi * Eddie Kendricks * Yusef Komunyakaa * Kevin M. Kruse * Kiese Laymon * Trymaine Lee * Jasmine Mans * Terry McMillan * Tiya Miles * Wesley Morris * Khalil Gibran Muhammad * Lynn Nottage * ZZ Packer * Gregory Pardlo * Darryl Pinckney * Claudia Rankine * Jason Reynolds * Dorothy Roberts * Sonia Sanchez * Tim Seibles * Evie Shockley * Clint Smith * Danez Smith * Patricia Smith * Tracy K. Smith * Bryan Stevenson * Nafissa Thompson-Spires * Natasha Trethewey * Linda Villarosa * Jesmyn Ward… (more)
Member:Suzetteendress
Title:The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story
Authors:Nikole Hannah-Jones (Creator)
Other authors:The New York Times Magazine (Creator), Caitlin Roper (Editor), Ilena Silverman (Editor), Jake Silverstein (Editor)
Info:One World (2021), 624 pages

Work Information

The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story by Nikole Hannah-Jones (2021)

I know this is hailed as the "ultimate," "true" story of slavery and how U.S. society evolved from this concept. I'm not opposed to the general notion of the book at all, being a history professor. However, being a professor I challenge some of the information contained therein, especially by the principal editor and writer, Hannah Jones. Ms. Jones makes several inaccurate statements that she believes are facts--and they are not! The most egregious error is that she claims the first slaves were brought to America in 1619. That is just false. The Spanish brought slaves to the U.S. (Florida) as early as the 1520's. (True, probably not African slaves, but those enslaved from the West Indies.) This I already knew, but to play fair, I did a modicum of research and found that my recollections were true. Once finding an error such as this, it makes the remainder of her article and in fact, the remainder of the book suspect. I do not have the time nor the inclination to do any further research; a good editor should have caught this. I will admit that in 1619 the first slaves were brought to the English colonies, but they were not the first slaves! I also take issue with her idea that slavery was a THE impetus for the War for Independence.....an entirely different subject! Do I think that more African-American history should be taught in the US? Absolutely! Before I retired from teaching full-time I always taught history of POC intermeshed with my State's content standards. In fact, my weekly chapter summary activity for the students included a paragraph for writing about the status of POC and women during the time period we studied. Although not agreeing with several major points in this book, I did enjoy it and am glad I read it. ( )
  Tess_W | Jun 1, 2022 |
The 1619 Project is a 2021 book based on the New York Times' 2019 long-form journalism endeavor engaging slavery, race, and caste and connecting them to our world today. The contributors are a who's who of fiction, non-fiction and poetry.

I read selections from this work for a group discussion (the preface "Origins", and chapters 1 "Democracy", 2 "Race", 3 "Sugar", 17 "Progress", and 18 "Justice", plus a few more). The group hasn't decided to finish the rest of the book, and I haven't been enticed to pick it up either. There's nothing wrong with the book, but I wasn't surprised by the history (with one exception* -- apparently my education was deeper in this area than I expected) and I wasn't taken with the fiction or poetry. I did really savor the images and captions, and would strongly recommend everyone who sees this book to spend a few minutes perusing those before deciding whether this book might be a good fit for you.

(* exception: I learned slaveholders redefined legal descent for slaves to be matrilineal, which not only reinforced dehumanization but also actively incentivized rape) ( )
  pammab | May 15, 2022 |
Extraordinary and enlightening saga of African Americans from the first landing in 1619,
thanks to Portuguese slavers and British pirates, through the horrors, tortures, massacres,
lynchings, rapes, and terrifying racism that continues today.

Trayvon Martin, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor...and, in February, 2022, Quadren Wilson...
while many Whites see only Tiger Woods, Michael Jackson, O.J. Simpson...

One major missed opportunity is the content of the chapter on "Music."
Did no one read George Lewis A POWER STRONGER THAN ITSELF?
There is no mention at all of Creative Improvised Black Music,
surely one of the major innovations of the 20th century., only the Ken Burns version. ( )
  m.belljackson | Feb 16, 2022 |
What a powerful read!!!!! The American history we learned in school was incomplete and inaccurate without the voices of all folks who built our country. This book with its many essays on the very important topics we are working through in our country and the world is a true gift. I am move, enlightened and changed after reading it. Our non-fiction book club chose it and the resulting discussion was very rich and powerful for all of us. It should be included on any and all American history class reading lists. ( )
1 vote Katyefk | Feb 11, 2022 |
A sliver to the heart. ( )
1 vote jconnell | Jan 29, 2022 |

Francis, VieveeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gyasi, YaaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamer, ForrestContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hayes, TerranceContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henderson, Kimberly AnnecePhotography Curatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Interlandi, JeneenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ward, JesmynContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martin, BobbyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morris, MichaelCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simpson, LornaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the more than thirty million descendants of American slavery
I am the American hearbreak--
The rock on which Freedom
Stumped its toe--
The great mistake
That Jamestown made
Long ago.
-----------Langston Hughes,
"American Heartbreak: 1619"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,767,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible