dismiss

Little Children by Tom Perrotta

Little Children (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Tom Perrotta

3,1911022,786 (3.65)66
Unhappily married Sarah passes her days at the local playground with her three-year-old daughter. When happily unemployed Todd (also married) and Sarah meet, their attraction is immediate. They begin a passionate affair just as their suburban utopia is rattled by the arrival of registered sex offender Ronald James McGorvey. With McGorvey in town, disgusted parents wonder if any of their little children will be safe.… (more)
Member:sturlington
Title:Little Children
Authors:Tom Perrotta
Info:
Collections:Your library, Marty's Library
Tags:ZZ misc, 2004

Little Children: A Novel by Tom Perrotta (2004)

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (Cecilturtle)
    Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Unexpected disruptions to everyday routines cause otherwise comfortable suburban communities to unravel in these witty, character-driven novels. However, one shocking catalyst drives the plot of Big Little Lies, whereas various factors contribute to the drama in Little Children.… (more)
    Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates (writemeg)

English (101)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (102)
Wow. At over 300 pages, I enjoyed this book so much it seemed more like a short story. It reads like a steamy soap opera with lots of dark undertones and shrewd observations about parenthood and marriage; and characters who are flawed but mostly likable. Even the villain of the piece, a convicted child molester, is portrayed with a degree of sympathy.

This man moves back to his mother's home after being released from prison, sending the small suburban town into panic and paranoia. His presence among them serves as a catalyst for decisions and events that shape the lives of the other characters during that summer.

I noticed the cover of the book said, "Now a Major Motion Picture." Apparently it came out in 2006 with a great cast: Kate Winslet, Patrick Wilson, and Jennifer Connelly. It got good reviews by both critics and viewers. Somehow I completely missed it, never heard a word about it, and now I can't wait to see it. And to read anything else Tom Perrotta has written.

UPDATED: So for a rare change, my library actually had this movie and it was available. It was good and very faithful to the book except for a slight, but extremely stupid, change to the ending. Also, itÛªs annoying that you are expected to buy Kate Winslet as the ‰ÛÏnot pretty‰Û character. ( )
  AngeH | Jan 2, 2020 |
Well-written. Compassionate. ( )
  midwestms | Aug 16, 2019 |
I watched the film adaption of Little Children about two years ago and I'm just now getting around to reading the novel. I loved it, of course. Even though I saw the film a while ago, I remember it very well, although I think of the characters very differently. After watching Patrick Wilson portray Todd, I thought of him as a tragic figure but after reading the novel I can't help but think of him as anything but a pathetic manchild.

This is a fantastic novel. It's a quick read (only took me two days) and I recommend it highly. Be sure to check out the film when you're done reading. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
It was okay. It's definitely well written, but it also just wasn't my kind of story. Unhappy straight white suburbanites having affairs, whoop-de-doo. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
Fool me twice ... Good writing, but I am irked with how he ends his books. I won't be picking up another by this author any time soon. ( )
  SMBrick | Feb 25, 2018 |
"I have a lover! I have a lover!" she kept repeating to herself, reveling in the thought as though she were beginning a second puberty.
--Flaubert, Madame Bovary
In memory of my father, Joe Perrotta
The young mothers were telling each other how tired they were.
Not everything is God's will. If your VCR's broken, you don't take it to a priest. You take it to the VCR guy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,652,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible