The Lighthouse Witches by C.J. Cooke

The Lighthouse Witches (edition 2021)

by C.J. Cooke (Author)

Member:reakendera
Title:The Lighthouse Witches
Authors:C.J. Cooke (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2021), 432 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, ebook, fantasy, horror

The Lighthouse Witches by C. J. Cooke

Olivia and her three daughters, Sapphire, Luna and Clover go to live in a bothy on a Scottish Island. Liv has gained a commission to paint a mural inside a lighthouse known as The Longing. Liv has her secrets but so does the island.

Whenever I read a book about small Scottish islands I can't help thinking of The Wicker Man. Lon Haven hasn't got a Wicker Man but has it's own secrets and folklore. In this story there is a history of witches and also Wildings.

I love books that are full of superstitions, folklore, witchcraft, old tales and just full on creepy. This story did offer all that. The descriptions are wonderful and the island is moody and has that sense of looking after it's own.

What I did find is that the story was a little long. The book followed three time lines so there was a lot to get in but for me it did go on a bit. Towards the end I felt the story was dragging and I just wanted to see how it was going to end. Everything is explained and it all does come together.

I'm not a fantasy reader but do enjoy creepy books. This book delved into fantasy very lightly so would be a good place to start even for me. I liked a lot about this book but also became bored with some of it too. It's the first time reading books by the author and would read more.

Thank you to the publisher via Netgalley for the chance to read the book. ( )
  tina1969 | Aug 20, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,169,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible