The Chronicles of Conan, Vol.7: The Dweller in the Pool and Other Stories

by Roy Thomas

Series: The Chronicles of Conan (Volume 7), Conan the Barbarian; Marvel Comic Book; 1970-1993 (The Chronicles of Conan 7 [43-51])

The latest collection of previously unavailable Conan adventures! The unstoppable Conan returns in another pile-driving selection of stories. These classic tales are newly available after more than a quarter of a century.

I enjoyed most of these stories quite a bit, all of them some. The return of Red Sonja was entertaining, and I particularly enjoyed the dialogue between Conan and Sonja regarding her philosophy of life - something I believe can only endure in fiction.

The middle single issue story was also entertaining, but it fell apart a bit for me near the end.

The last story, which encompasses multiple issues was the most enjoyable to me. It has both a quest built in, with several side stories that happen. The last issue is the weakest in my opinion, as the story seems to veer from the material established, and also the character of Conan to some extent. Roy explains this a bit in the essay in the back (not directly, just that the whole story was adapted from a non-Conan story, and was held to quite well, hence the character diverges a bit near the end).

Overall, good art and an entertaining set of stories. ( )
  quinton.baran | Mar 29, 2021 |
The stories in this one were all of reasonable quality, though it has become fairly clear that Roy Thomas has basically run out of material written by Howard at this point -- or is saving a few choice morsels for later. The first story had Red Sonja and Conan captured by vampire sorcerers who wanted to use them for breeding stock. It was quite a good tale and quite horrific in parts. The bulk of the rest of the volume involved a lengthy quest to save a damsel whose life was connected to that of a weird sorcerer. The tale involved shape-shifting women and even more sorcerers. I probably should have reviewed this one closer to the date I finished it, as now the details fade from my mind. ( )
  questbird | Oct 15, 2010 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,344,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible