I kissed Shara Wheeler by Casey McQuiston

I kissed Shara Wheeler (edition 2022)

by Casey McQuiston

From the bestselling author of Red, White and Royal Blue and One Last Stop comes a debut YA romantic comedy about chasing down what you want, only to find what you need . . .Chloe Green is so close to winning. After her moms moved her from SoCal to Alabama for high school, she's spent the past four years dodging gossipy, classmates and a puritanical administration at Willowgrove Christian Academy. The thing that's kept her going: winning valedictorian. Her only rival: prom queen Shara Wheeler, the principal's perfect daughter.But a month before graduation, Shara kisses Chloe and vanishes.On a furious hunt for answers, Chloe discovers she's not the only one Shara kissed. There's also Smith, Shara's longtime quarterback sweetheart, and Rory, Shara's bad boy neighbour with a crush. The three have nothing in common except Shara and the annoyingly cryptic notes she left behind, but together they must untangle Shara's trail of clues and find her. It'll be worth it, if Chloe can drag Shara back before graduation to beat her fair-and-square. Thrown into an unlikely alliance, chasing a ghost through parties, break-ins, puzzles, and secrets revealed on monogrammed stationery, Chloe starts to suspect there might be more to this small town than she thought. And maybe - probably not, but maybe - more to Shara, too.Fierce, funny and frank, Casey McQuiston's I Kissed Shara Wheeler is about breaking the rules, getting messy and finding love in unexpected places.'[A] razor-sharp, intensely compassionate, subversive, sweet, electrifyingly romantic knockout of a book.' - Becky Albertalli, author of Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda… (more)
Member:stmagda
Title:I kissed Shara Wheeler
Authors:Casey McQuiston
Info:London : Macmillan, 2022.

Work Information

I Kissed Shara Wheeler by Casey McQuiston

English (10)  German (2)  All languages (12)
In this YA novel, Shara Wheeler, the perfect and beloved daughter of a private school principal, disappears during prom. No one seems terribly concerned, least of all her father, but Chloe Green can't get Shara and her disappearance out of her mind--especially since Shara cornered her in a school elevator and kissed her the day before she disappeared. Chloe considers Shara her nemesis (among other reasons, because they are competing to be class valedictorian), and when she starts finding notes Shara left for her and two other classmates, the hunt is on. The book is a little bit mystery/puzzle, but the real concern is with identity and learning how to recognize who you really are and how to be that person, despite influences from the outside. It's about being queer in high school, it's about hypocrisy, it's about the South, it's about Christianity, it's about Christianity in the South. It's delightfully snarky and wonderfully honest. It's sharp and tender. I recommend it wholeheartedly. ( )
1 vote lycomayflower | Nov 25, 2022 |
3.5 stars?
I think I am not american enough to understand half of the stakes in this book... What is the point of being valedictorian and why does it matter? Smith was picking a school based on sports facilities? There is a theatre group at school and they actually do things?? (I want to rate this higher because I am sure this is incredibly relatable to the americans in their teens/early twenties reading it but I genuinely cannot)
However I love Casey McQuistons writing style and this book did not disappoint in making me smile. ( )
  MYvos | Sep 1, 2022 |
This book was exhausting but in a good and engaging way. The twists the plot went in kept my attention even if they were inconceivable. I was constantly entertained and that’s all I could really ask for. ( )
  DominiqueDavis | Aug 9, 2022 |
Shara Wheeler kissed two people who were not her boyfriend and then disappeared, leaving a note for one of them. Chloe, Rory, and Shara's boyfriend follow the clues that Shara has left for them to try to find Shara. I have mixed feelings about the book. I enjoyed the beginning which reminded me of Paper Towns. But I grew tired of Chloe's self-centeredness in the middle and almost put the book down. I am glad that I didn't since the ending was really great. I Kissed Shara Wheeler is set in Alabama and the teens all go to a very Christian private school rife with intolerance. It is a love letter to all LGBTQ+ teens to hang in there, try to find your people, and life will get better. ( )
  SGKowalski | May 29, 2022 |
Shara kissed three people and then disappeared before homecoming queen is announced at prom: Smith Parker, her boyfriend, Rory, the boy next door who has a crush on her and Chloe, her rival for valedictorian. Then she started leaving clues as to where she is and what she wants.

Chloe and Shara have had a rivalry since Chloe entered the Willowgrove School four years ago. They are the smartest kids in the school and both want to be valedictorian. But only one can. Shara's the prettiest and everyone loves her. And, her father is principal of their highly Christian school. Chloe, having moved from California to "backward" Alabama has something to prove, being the only out lesbian in the Christian school and the only one with two mothers, one of whom graduated from Willowgrove.

Chloe feels she must find Shara because she doesn't want to be valedictorian by default,..she wants to win it legitimately. Thus the three "kissees" bank together to find her. But, of course, things aren't what they seem, there's a purpose to Shara's mysterious disappearance and clues and, ultimately, will the girls admit that what once seemed like a rivalry was so much more and yet never a rivalry at all.

A fun beach read, even in winter. ( )
  EdGoldberg | May 16, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,341,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible