Nona the Ninth (The Locked Tomb Series, 3)…

Nona the Ninth (The Locked Tomb Series, 3) (edition 2022)

by Tamsyn Muir (Author)

Series: The Locked Tomb (3)

2046114,108 (4.24)2
Tamsyn Muir's New York Times and USA Today bestselling Locked Tomb Series continues with Nona ...the Ninth? Her city is under siege. The zombies are coming back. And all Nona wants is a birthday party. In many ways, Nona is like other people. She lives with her family, has a job at her local school, and loves walks on the beach and meeting new dogs. But Nona's not like other people. Six months ago she woke up in a stranger's body, and she's afraid she might have to give it back. The whole city is falling to pieces. A monstrous blue sphere hangs on the horizon, ready to tear the planet apart. Blood of Eden forces have surrounded the last Cohort facility and wait for the Emperor Undying to come calling. Their leaders want Nona to be the weapon that will save them from the Nine Houses. Nona would prefer to live an ordinary life with the people she loves, with Pyrrha and Camilla and Palamedes, but she also knows that nothing lasts forever. And each night, Nona dreams of a woman with a skull-painted face...… (more)
Member:lostinthebb
Title:Nona the Ninth (The Locked Tomb Series, 3)
Authors:Tamsyn Muir (Author)
Info:Tordotcom (2022), 480 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

Work Information

Nona the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

*grabs the wheel, tires screech, goes flying of the narrative cliff, somehow survives*
  rowmyboat | Sep 27, 2022 |
This is a filler book. But WHAT a filler book it is! I have no idea what is going on, but neither does Nona, so its okay. Does it make sense, I really have no idea. However, the characters are grounded, from Nona's Protectors, to Nona herself, a brand new being who just wants a birthday party. The history of the nine planets is touched on, including why John Gaius is God. That is also some crazy stuff. I quite liked that we see John going from reasonable, to not so reasonable as the book progressed.

A few things. There's a lot of stuff happening, and it starts immediately there is no summarizing of the previous book and while it is an immediate sequel to the last one, the setting and events are so different, it feels almost like a stand alone. There are references to the first two books, but because Nona is so... innocent and doesn't remember, the reader is mostly bewildered about what's happening.

I'm very curious what will happen in the next book, with this author, it could go so many ways. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Sep 27, 2022 |
Let me begin by confessing that I never had much idea what was going on in the previous books, content to skate on the surface of their wild fantastic imagination. But definitely by the end of Harrow the Ninth, I was beginning to think that these were the bad guys, and this book basically confirmed my take: When you tell me that Resurrection Beasts hunt necromancers because a bunch of planets died, even strategic silence on how those planets died will not avoid suspicion, especially since in Harrow they actually do kill a planet. Of course these particular people did not themselves start the system—that was God/John, and in this book we learn a fair amount more about what he thought he was doing. Nona herself is a passive, childlike presence through the book, very much acted upon rather than actor, and her emotions are often not deep or explained, which is a structural difficulty. I understand this began as a section of what is now going to be book four, and perhaps it ought to have stayed that way. ( )
  rivkat | Sep 26, 2022 |
This is the book that's converted me to a fully fledged Tamsyn Muir fan. Enjoyed the previous two books, but found it hard to get attached to this crazy bone world. This one retroactively improved them for me. Characters felt deeper and more grounded. The perspective of a young character was done masterfully - a depiction of genuinely weird/intense girlhood done well - reminded me at times of the early chapters of 'The Mill On The Floss' Honestly, would be a joy to read for her handling of language alone. ( )
  rookline | Sep 23, 2022 |
go back and (re)read the first two books in the Locked Tomb series before you start; you'll be glad you did, and not only because it starts in medias res. the voice of this one, the very particular world of what a child chooses to see and feel, the colour of every moment, is so beautifully done. the whole world contained in Nona's small found family is alive to the touch and deeply, heartstoppingly real. meanwhile, we're finally introduced to the larger backstory - the sf tale of the apocalypse that once set up this death cult. an instant classic series with one more book to go. ( )
  macha | Sep 20, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

One for the Emperor, first of us all;

One for his Lyctors, who answered the call;

One for his Saints, who were chosen of old;

One for his Hands, and the swords that they hold. Two is for discipline, heedless of trial;

Three for the gleam of a jewel or a smile;

Four for fidelity, facing ahead;

Five for tradition and debts to the dead;

Six for the truth over solace in lies;

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies;

Eight for salvation no matter the cost;

Nine for the Tomb, and for all that was lost.
for pT
You told me, Sleep, I’ll wake you in the morning.
IN THE DREAM, he told her the words about where he took his degrees, his postdoc, his research fellowship.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,783,074 books! | Top bar: Always visible