Happy Kanako's Killer Life Vol. 1 (Happy…

Happy Kanako's Killer Life Vol. 1 (Happy Kanako's Killer Life) (original 2019; edition 2021)

by Wakabayashi (Author)

A hilarious full-color manga about office politics and killers-for-hire! Nishino Kanako sure hates her job, and is only too happy to snag the first new gig that comes her way. She never expected that her interview would be at an agency for contract killers...or that she'd be really, really good at bumping people off! Kanako doesn't have a ton of self-confidence, and adjusting to her new life as an assassin isn't the easiest. Will she ever earn the respect of Sakurai, her prickly but kinda hot new coworker? Find out in this dangerously funny, full-color manga!… (more)
Member:Issei
Title:Happy Kanako's Killer Life Vol. 1 (Happy Kanako's Killer Life)
Authors:Wakabayashi (Author)
Info:Seven Seas (2021), Edition: 1, 180 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Work Information

Happy Kanako's Killer Life Vol. 1 by Toshiya Wakabayashi (2019)

I very confidently checked out the first 5 volumes of this, and now having read just the first one, I’m very confidently returning all 5 volumes. This is so poorly written and uses the same gags, animal puns, and situations over and over again. Two stars only because I support women assassins. ( )
  deborahee | Feb 23, 2024 |
I liked this way more than I thought I would. It is more black humor than not, but I found the protagonists approach to her new job interesting, actually? It's written slice of life style and there is a lot of mention of animals in a punny way that seems to be a character quirk that will probably rub many all wrong, but overall I enjoyed this. ( )
  potds1011 | Mar 5, 2022 |
A full-color manga? You don't see that often.

A manga about assassins? Now that you see all the time.

This one tries to be original by taking a comic bent as Millennial office worker Kanako, a bit of an airhead, quits her old job and stumbles into an interview to be a hitman. Next thing you know she is in blood stepped in so far that should she wade no more, returning were as tedious as go o'er. Besides, a lot of guys she is assigned to target are misogynistic pieces of crap.

Unfortunately, the first two thirds aren't very funny, especially since Kanako's signature thing is to make one or two stupid animal puns every chapter that are actually illustrated with the animal cited. She says "I'm gonna croak," with a frog on her shoulder or, "I've got the koala-fications," with a peeping marsupial behind her arm. The author or editor is so in love with them they are lifted out and duplicated on the chapter break pages, so you have to see them all twice! Truly painful!

I was ready to write the whole book off, but after seemingly endless pages just riffing on the central concept and dropping those puns, some actual plot developments were tossed in that left me intrigued enough to try at least one more volume. I'll have to see how it go-ose.

(See how annoying that is?) ( )
  villemezbrown | Dec 2, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

My last job was the worst. So I quit.
Contents:
Chapters 001-004 -- Bonus -- Chapters 005-008 -- Bonus -- Chapters 009-012 -- Bonus -- Chapters 013-016 -- Bonus

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,845,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible