HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Dating Dr. Dil

by Nisha Sharma

"Nisha Sharma's Dating Dr. Dil is what would happen if you put all my favorite romantic comedy tropes into a blender: a frothy, snarky, hilarious treat with a gooey, heartwarming center. The perfect addition to any rom-com lover's shelf." --Emily Henry, #1 New York Times bestselling author of People We Meet on Vacation Nisha Sharma's new romantic comedy features enemies to lovers, a cast of best friends, and a gaggle of aunties determined to make a match. Hi! I'm Kareena Mann. As cheesy as it sounds, I'm looking for my soulmate. In four months. And he must gain the approval of my meddling aunties. Kareena dreams of having a perfect love story like her parents did. That's why on the morning of her thirtieth birthday, she's decided to suit up and enter the dating arena. When her widowed father announces he's retiring and selling their home after her sister's engagement party, Kareena makes a deal with him. If she can find her soulmate by the date of the party, he'll gift her the house, and she'll be able to keep her mother's legacy alive. Hi, I'm Dr. Prem Verma, host of the Dr. Dil Show. Prem means love, Dil means heart, and I'm a cardiologist. Don't let my name fool you. I only fix broken hearts in the literal sense. Prem doesn't have time for romance, which is why it's no surprise when his first meeting with Kareena goes awry. Their second encounter is worse when their on-air debate about love goes viral. Now Prem's largest community center donor is backing out because Prem's reputation as a heart-health expert is at risk. To get back in his donor's good graces, he needs to fix his image fast, and dating Kareena is his only option. Even though they have warring interests, the more time Prem spends with Kareena, the more he thinks she's might actually be the woman he wants to spend the rest of his life with. In this Taming of the Shrew re-imagination, for Prem and Kareena to find their happily ever after, they must admit that hate has turned into fate. "Bursting with character, spicy tension and laughs, Dating Dr. Dil is the enemies to lovers dream book!" --Tessa Bailey, New York Times bestselling author of It Happened One Summer… (more)

A contemporary desi retelling of The Taming of the Shrew. There’s money set aside for Kareena if she marries and without it Kareena can’t afford to buy her beloved family home which her father has decided to sell.

There were things I found really engaging and interesting, but the way the story unfolded… in hindsight, I’d have felt more invested in Kareena and Prem’s relationship if the book had showed their first conversation when it happened, rather than revealing some of those details later in flashbacks. Because while it’s immediately obvious that there’s mutual attraction, we don’t get to see them discover with delight that they enjoy each other’s company and have compatible perspectives (about some things!).

I also wasn’t wholly convinced by Prem’s reasons for (initially) believing love doesn’t make for stable relationships. (Cultural nuances around understandings of love languages which I don’t get?)

Probably I’d have liked this more if it had been just Kareena’s POV.
  Herenya | Sep 24, 2022 |
This book was a great read. It was funny and felt so real. The characters feel fully fleshed out and relatable. I cannot wait to read more because I have an inkling that the friends are going to get their own stories!

Rina and Prem do loathe to love and fake dating so well. Rina's online dating fiascos were hilarious but also similar to my own online dating duds ( )
  yonitdm | Sep 1, 2022 |
Cute but very slow. Seemed longer than it was. ( )
  SimplyKelina | May 11, 2022 |
"Never in a million years did Prem think his brain chemistry would betray him and make him doubt for the first time in his life that maybe, just maybe, love could be real."

This is such a funny, endearing, and spicy book. Enemies to Lovers. Fake Marriage. Happily Ever After. I LOVED IT! I literally laughed out loud and read my partner some parts of the book because it was so funny.

I also enjoyed learning more about Indian culture in America and how American customs can affect/change some of the traditions. ( )
  bookbutterfly | Mar 31, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

There's small choice in rotten apples
- Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew
Every apple has a little bit of bruising. It's up to you to add lemon juice and masala, so you can't taste the difference. The key is to get yourself some fruit.
- Mrs. W.S. Gupta, Indians Abroad News
For the women who have been told to lower their standards. I hope you never do.
Kareena: You are the reigning queen of rice!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,776,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible