Disraeli

by Sarah Bradford

Sarah Bradford s stylish and readable biography traces the flamboyant career of Benjamin Disraeli. She follows Disraeli s progress from Byronic dandy to confidante of Queen Victoria, describing en route how bouts of fierce parliamentary fighting and intrigue alternated with periods of intense creativity which produced Vivian Grey, Coningsby, Sybil and the worlds best- seller Lothair. Using previously unknown letters and papers, she throws new light upon Disraeli s relationships with the women in his life. She also brings to life the parliamentary debates through which Disraeli destroyed Peel as leader of the Conservative Party, split the Conservatives, duelled with Gladstone and achieved power as one of England s greatest prime ministers.… (more)

3970. Disraeli, by Sarah Bradford (read 1 Jan 2005) I read Robert Blake's excellent biography of Disraeli on 23 Aug 1971 and when I saw this book I thought it was long enough ago so that I could read another bio of him, since he had such an interesting career and was such an unusual person and since I so much liked Bradford's biography of King George VI which I read 12 Dec 1990. This book spends far more time on Disraeli's personal than his parliamentary career but all in all it is a good work and was well worth reading. Bradford does her research well. She says of Disraeli's ten novels Endymion, his last one, is the most readable and shows him at his best as a political novelist. The only novel by him I've read is Coningsby, which I read with, somewhat to my surprise, considerable enjoyment on May 3, 1985. Disraeli died April 19, 1881. ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 14, 2007 |

Notable Lists

For William

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,007,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible