A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2) (original 1998; edition 1998)

by George R. R. Martin

A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. Two great leaders--Lord Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon--who hold sway over an age of enforced peace are dead, victims of royal treachery. Now, from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of the coldest steel ... and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles.… (more)
Member:Corinos
Title:A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:London : HarperCollins, 1998.

Work Information

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin (1998)

English (489)  Spanish (8)  German (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  French (2)  Dutch (2)  Hungarian (2)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (511)
Possibly better than the first. I loved getting more of Sansa and Arya. Picking up the third asap. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
Man. Another brutal, absorbing novel. I'm so freaking glad I was not a woman in the middle ages, because DAMN GINA that must have sucked. I mean, if you are a woman and the child king wants you for his bride, he has his lackeys beat you on a daily basis, and then when it isn't politically expedient he throws you over but chances are pretty good he's just going to rape you and make you bear his bastards you are basically effed simply because you have ladyparts.
Once again many characters who are pure evil and deserved comeuppance were actually rewarded, while good people suffer. I guess that is pretty realistic. There was some major intrigue going down at the end, and I'm dying of cliffhangers.
Also, I suddently find myself calling things "a mummer's farce" all the time. THANKS A LOT, GEORGE RR MARTIN. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
No review for this mammoth. Maybe I'll write one after it actually ends... ( )
  aravind_aar | Nov 21, 2021 |
Absolutely phenomenal! When I wasn't actually reading this book I spent way too much time thinking about the characters and what was going to happen to them. Granted, I'm not a fan of every character's entire story, but there are very few characters that I didn't hop to the edge of my seat at some point when their arc finally kicked in (Catelyn, Daenerys). And of course there are the characters that I could not get enough of (Tyrion (of course), Arya).
Needless to say, I love this series, and I loved this book. The most difficult part is trying to avoid spoilers (from either the TV show or other sources). ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
I know practically everyone loves A Song of Ice and Fire series but while I don't loathe it I also do not love it. I have a hard time reading a series where there is not at least one character I can relate to and get behind and I struggled and eventually failed top find that character in this series. The writing and world building are excellent it is just not for me. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Martin manages very well to have satisfying volume completion and satisfying character arcs within the volume—slightly less well than in the first book, but still remarkably well considering how difficult it is.
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 10, 2009)

Roy Dotrice rises to the challenge, providing each character with his or her own unique voice.
added by readysetgo | editAudiofile (Jun 1, 2004)

Once again Martin treats us to a magnificent tapestry that is, at once, both stunningly detailed and amazing in its ability to draw the reader into its grasp.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Feb 1, 1999)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to John and Gail
for all the meat and mead we've shared
The comet's tail spread across the dawn, a red slash that bled above the crags of Dragonstone like a wound in the pink and purple sky.
This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings.
Crowns do queer things to the heads beneath them.
"In a room sits three great men, a king, a priest, and a rich man with his gold. Between them stands a sellsword, a little man of common birth and no great mind. Each of the great ones bids him slay the other two. 'Do it,' says the king, 'for I am your lawful ruler.' 'Do it,' says the priest, 'for I command you in the names of the gods.' 'Do it,' says the rich man, 'and all this gold shall be yours.' So tell me--who lives and who dies?"
There's no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.
Some men are like swords, made for fighting. Hang them up and they go to rust.
In the portuguese edition The Clash of Kings is actually the 3rd book, because the publisher split game of thrones in two books game of thrones and Muralha de Gelo (Wall of Ice)
Dette er den andre av to deler av boken "A Game of Thrones" i serien "A Song of Ice and Fire". De har utgaver med forskjellig tittel på omslaget og tittelsiden. (Henholdsvis { Bok I Del II} & {Bok 2})

Winter is coming.
who cares? lets kill everyone
valar morghulis
(miketopper)
New guys ev'ry page
Don't even try to keep track
They're going to die
(mazeway)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,899,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible