The Killings at Badger's Drift: A Midsomer…

The Killings at Badger's Drift: A Midsomer Murders Mystery 1 (original 1987; edition 2007)

by Caroline Graham (Author)

Badger's Drift - a tranquil English village, home to Miss Emily Simpson, a kindly, well-liked spinster. But when poor Miss Simpson takes a gentle stroll in the woods near her home one day and sees something among the trees that she was never meant to see, her peaceful existence is brought to an abrupt end. To most, Miss Simpson's death looks natural enough, but her old friend Miss Lucy Bellringer is unconvinced and calls on Chief Inspector Barnaby for help. Sure enough, as he investigates, a previously unseen seamy side to Badger's Drift is revealed - one where old rivalries, old loves and new scandals are rife. And then there's a second, horrifically gruesome killing...… (more)
Member:caroline_r
Title:The Killings at Badger's Drift: A Midsomer Murders Mystery 1
Authors:Caroline Graham (Author)
Info:Headline (2007), 288 pages

Work Information

The Killings at Badger's Drift by Caroline Graham (1987)

English (33)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (34)
This book was the basis for the long-running Midsomer Murders TV series..... very enjoyable. ( )
  yukon92 | Sep 14, 2021 |
As evidenced by my reading this in two days with very little leeway in between, I liked this one. I’ve been a fan of all things Midsomer since I started watching the TV show somewhere back in the dim and misty year of, perhaps, 2013. The book didn’t disappoint and, now, I have a better appreciation for the show. Whoever oversaw the script for the pilot did an excellent job of keeping in just what needed to be and delicately cutting what didn’t.

But enough about the show, this book was fantastic! Ive recently been reading the Lynley series and, while in the same genre, these books couldn’t be more different. I do also have a huge appreciation for Caroline Graham’s prose. It trips along lightly without a single thought about what other people think it should sound like and I found it just right for the story she was trying to tell.

The second book is definitely now on my TBR. ( )
  cthuwu | Jul 28, 2021 |
an old woman dies and her friend is sure it is murder
  ritaer | Jun 26, 2021 |
A fun cozy mystery. Interesting to read this after following the Acorn television series for so long. An insight into the main characters who feel real and kind of like friends though not exactly as I remember them from TV. Some of the other characters were a little hard to believe, but not enough to bother me much. A quick read and a page turner. I would have loved an audiobook of this, but no such luck. Can't say I remembered it at all from an earlier reading, but that was 10 years ago. ( )
  njcur | Apr 7, 2021 |
Good story. Nice beginning followed by more and more bits that led right to the ending. Interesting characters. ( )
  TanyaRead | Mar 8, 2021 |

Graham, Carolineprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
BascoveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walther, UrsulaÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And appetite, an universal wolf,
So doubly seconded with will and power,
Must make perforce an universal prey,
And last eat up itself.
- Troilus and Cressida
Act 1, Scene 3
To Christianna Brand
With grateful thanks
For all her help and encouragement
She had been walking in the woods just before teatime when she saw them.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,460,259 books! | Top bar: Always visible