Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling

Captains Courageous (original 1897; edition 1981)

by Rudyard Kipling (Author)

After being washed overboard from an ocean liner, fifteen-year-old Harvey Cheyne, spoiled son of a millionaire, is rescued by New England fishermen who put him to work on their boat.
Member:AlanaAssimina
Title:Captains Courageous
Authors:Rudyard Kipling (Author)
Info:MACMILLAN (1981), Edition: Centenary Ed
Collections:Untitled collection
Tags:Classics

Captains Courageous: A Story of the Grand Banks by Rudyard Kipling (1897)

English (37)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (41)
I was coming of age (1962) ... whatever that means. So this book was appropriate. Plot is simple: spoiled, rich 15-year-old boy pulled from sea onto fishing schooner. He leaves the boat as a man. Dialogue was a bit challenging with fishermen lingo but I got through it. Good book with good message.

Quote from one of my favorite and important books I have read:

“Like many other unfortunate young people, Harvey had never in all his life received a direct order—never, at least, without long, and sometimes tearful, explanations of the advantages of obedience and the reasons for the request.” ( )
  LJCain | Sep 14, 2020 |
I had some difficulty with this book because much of it is written in a sailor's dialect. As I got into the book, the dialect became less and less of a problem. I enjoyed reading it despite not taking the time to understand the dialect.

This is a delightful coming of age story. ( )
  bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
a fun story of the sea. stuck in an airport with time to kill type reading. there was also some ayn rand flavor captains of industry worship as a bonus at the end. plus the sexism and racism that seems common among adventure type authors of that era. ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
dropped because of wording. Why are there so many not understandable accents? Igh. No thanks. ( )
  Elizabeth723 | Dec 6, 2019 |
Beautifully illustrated unabridged hardcover with definitions of hard words in the margins, as well as pictures of the many dated things mentioned in the book.
  Andersonclan | Jul 13, 2018 |

Stahl, Ben F.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuart, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taber, I. W.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerlund, Hans G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I ploughed the land with horses,
But my heart was ill at ease,
For the old sea-faring men
Came to me now and then,
With their sagas of the seas,
Longfellow.
TO
JAMES CONLAND, M. D.,
Brattleboro, Vermont
The weather door of the smoking-room had been left open to the North Atlantic fog, as the big liner rolled and lifted, whistling to warn the fishing-fleet.

Legacy Library: Rudyard Kipling

Rudyard Kipling has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Rudyard Kipling's legacy profile.

See Rudyard Kipling's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,422,537 books! | Top bar: Always visible