Two Gentlemen Sharing by William Corlett

Two Gentlemen Sharing

by William Corlett

1314138,694 (3)None

English (3)  German (1)  All languages (4)
I did indeed laugh out loud a few times, but I was bored also for part of the time. 390 pages is a lot for such a trifle! There are some amusing bits in "Two Gentlemen Sharing," which indeed builds upon a very long and honorable tradition of English Pastoral Romantic Comedy (for example, see "As You Like It" by Will "the Bard" Shakespeare). Interestingly, although this novel was published in 1997, parts of it already now (in 2016) already seem incredibly dated in terms of the social prejudices and attitudes. I do feel that a good editor could have helped Mr. Corlett cut out about 40% of the book, and it would have made the novel tighter, breezier, and a lot more fun. ( )
  yooperprof | Dec 3, 2016 |
This charming novel, set in the English countryside, follows the (mis)adventures of a gay couple who buy an estate in a small English village, shaken to its very foundations by their arrival, which brings with it (temporally, if not causally) a whole host of upheavals. Farcical at points, but mostly gently amusing, the novel suffered at points from having a bit too much in the way of eccentric characters, not to mention a few horrible stereotypes wandering around, but it also had some very readable bits. Cute. ( )
1 vote lysimache | Jul 6, 2007 |
Typical English humor. Caustic and sharp picture of the conservative English countryside society. ( )
  Replay | Jun 4, 2007 |

Bellingford is a sleepy village set amid gently rolling countryside. Whatever scandals may occur there, they always take place behind closed doors and carefully laundered lace curtains. In short, Bellingford is a typical English village. That is until the news breaks that the Hall House has been sold at last and the rumour starts that the new occupants are to be 'two gentlemen, sharing'. With the arrival of Rich and Bless - newly in love and eager for domesticity - the scene is set for mayhem and uproar. And with Rich on a business trip to the States, Bless is plunged into a vortex of events that leaves him gasping for the cosy domesticity of Earl's Court on a Saturday night.... TWO GENTLEMEN SHARING is a roller coaster ride through the sexual mores of life, a comedy of manners that spirals from gentle humour to the heights of farce.

An Excerpt"At Mrs. Sugar's""Have you heard, my dears? The Hall House is sold at last." Mrs. Sugar was slicing ham with studied concentration as she made this announcement. The recipient of the meat, a woman with a distant, distracted expression and clothes to match, was more intent on the carving than on the speaker but the other customers crowded into the little shop all responded with satisfying interest."Really, Mrs. Sugar?" exclaimed a woman in jodhpurs and tweed hacking jacket. "Do we know who?""I'm sorry, Mrs. Daltry, that I have so far not been able to ascertain," Mrs. Sugar replied with the carefully assumed vowels she saved for her favoured customers. "My informant, Miss Briggs at Lashams," the local estate agent, "seemed to think that the purchaser was a gentleman from London.""Oh Lord! Not another commuter?" Heather Daltry groaned. "The village is becoming nothing more than a dormitory. One can scarcely breathe for exhaust fumes between six thirty and eight, morning and evening."Meanwhile, the woman at the counter was trying to catch the carver's attention."That's more than enough," she said in an agitated voice."I'll just give you this one delicious slice, my dear," Mrs. Sugar told her, cutting it extra thick. "The Brigadier will come back for more tonight, Mrs. Jerrold, I'll be bound. Like Oliver Twist he'll be. And no wonder! My ham is the talk of the county on account of the secret ingredient I put in the water." As she spoke she was now wrapping the meat in grease proof paper. Then laying the little parcel on the scales she gave them a sharp rap with her clenched fist. "Drat these scales! They stick, you know."Heather Daltry turned and raised her eyes in a way loaded with meaning. The slender woman in a flowing cloak standing behind her frowned."You should have them checked, Mrs. Sugar," she announced, making a statement rather than a suggestion."I've had them checked, Mrs. Simpson," Mrs. Sugar replied indignantly. "A man from the ministry came himself.""It's Ms.," Diana Simpson said impatiently. "I've told you that before.""Yes," Mrs. Sugar agreed, wiping her hands on her overall skirt. "I dare say as it is, but not round here, dear. That's all a bi… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,483,498 books! | Top bar: Always visible