Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Memoirs of a Geisha (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Arthur Golden

33,28151652 (4)512
A fisherman's daughter in 1930s Japan rises to become a famous geisha. After training, Sayuri's virginity is sold to the highest bidder, then the school finds her a general for a patron. When he dies, she is reunited with the only man she loved.
Member:d.i.
Title:Memoirs of a Geisha
Authors:Arthur Golden
Info:Alfred A Knopf (1997), Paperback, 400 pages

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (1997)

Geisha: A Life by Mineko Iwasaki (Leishai, sbuehrle)
    Leishai: Arthur Golden schrieb einen Roman über Geishas. Mineko Iwasaki war die Geiko, die er dafür interviewte. Sie stellt in ihrem Buch alles richtig, was er sich zu dramatischen Zwecken zurechtgeschnitten hat.
    sbuehrle: I would recommend reading these books back-to-back. Memoirs of a Geisha is the fictional account of Iwasaki's life, whereas Geisha: A Life is the autobiographical response.
    Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See (goodiegoodie)
    Autobiography of a Geisha by Sayo Masuda (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Beautifully written story of a geisha who fares better than Sayo Masuda.
    Empress Orchid by Anchee Min (krizia_lazaro)
    Geisha by Liza Dalby (SqueakyChu, MartinRohrbach, Leishai)
    Leishai: Ein gutes Buch für Europäer oder Amerikaner zum Verständnis der japanischen Geisha-Kultur.
    The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon by Sei Shonagon (brightbel)
    Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (caflores)
    Kimonos (365 Series) by Sophie Milenovich (JuliaMaria)
    The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan (sturlington)
    Plum Wine by Angela Davis-Gardner (Catt172)
    Geisha in Rivalry by Kafu Nagai (normandie_m)
    normandie_m: Set slightly earlier and in Tokyo, but also worth reading for exploring the relationship dynamics between geisha and their patrons, who come from a variety of different backgrounds. Also offers insight into the relationships/friendships between the different geisha.… (more)
    The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery (cransell)
    Still Life With Rice by Helie Lee (dawnlovesbooks)
    Jia: A Novel of North Korea by Hyejin Kim (meggyweg)
    The Physician by Noah Gordon (MartinRohrbach)

English (489)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (6)  French (4)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (514)
I've already read Cinderella. The exotic trappings didn't add much of value. ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
This has been sitting on my TBR for a while now, so long that I can't remember where I got it from, it looks second hand though. I picked it up mainly because it's one of those books that appears on a lot of lists but I have to say that it's not the kind of thing I would normally read. With this in mind I decided to give a shot and see if it moved me in any way.

The way the story started was ok but because of the title I knew where it was headed. I guess the title is very fitting but it does point the way that the plot is going in the early stages. Fortunately this period of the story doesn't last very long and it struck me quite quickly that the writing style is nice and relaxed. This makes the books very easy to read and I found that I could read in long stints or dip in and out without having a detrimental effect.

There are quite a few characters but at no point did I feel I was unsure as to who was talking or the subject of discussion. After a while the main characters had formed a very strong mental image in my head and this is testament to the writing. After finishing the book I read a few reviews in which people complained that the book only really skims the surface of the Geisha culture in early Japan. I felt that Golden fed me as much information as I wanted without it feeling out of place. I'm sure that he could have gone into more detail but that would have taken away from the story. Maintaining the pace of the plot is very important in this kind of story and I feel that he got this just right.

While I was enjoying the book I didn't think that it had grabbed me emotionally. That was until I got to the big life changing things that happen to Sayuri. At this point I realised that I felt nervous when she felt nervous and I wanted to know what was round the corner. I found the ending was heading where I suspected it was but the way it was reached made me doubt that it was going to happen a few times. The situation that Sayuri found herself in with Nobu was a fantastic part of the story and the thoughts that she wrestled with got me thinking on more than one occasion.

This is a fantastic book made even more sweet given that I didn't expect to like it that much. I have already given my copy away so that other people get a chance to enjoy the story. If you haven't read it yet then don't delay. ( )
1 vote Brian. | Jun 19, 2021 |
Historical fiction about the life of a geisha in Japan starting with her childhood and moving through her training and the turns her life takes through WWII and beyond. I enjoyed the story quite a bit up until the end, when I became annoyed at the main character's life choices and the path the love story took. I felt the novel would have been more interesting and would have ended on a much stronger note had Sayuri shown more actual character growth (or maybe she did grow and just in a way I didn't want her to?). Also, I'm slightly uneasy with the fact that the author is a white American male. The writing is good and the story is fairly interesting, but just because he can doesn't really mean he should. I now feel like I should seek out authentic geisha stories by #ownvoices authors. ( )
  electrascaife | Mar 28, 2021 |
It's been many years since I read this book, but lately I've just been craving a re-read since I unpacked it along with the rest of my long-since boxed up collection. I'm so glad that I caved rather than insisting on reading more new material because this novel was a total palette cleanser - and I needed one. The last time that I read this book I remember being a bit disappointed that it didn't match the film, but honestly I don't see the problem anymore. I think that the narration threw me off a bit previously, since the story in the film is presented with a bit of distance between the reader and Sayuri, but this time around I felt like it actually drew me into the story more to see things from Sayuri's personal perspective. Golden could easily have told this story from a variety of perspectives, but having Sayuri narrate her own story made me feel like we were hearing the story while seated at an intimate teahouse engagement. Obviously this mode of storytelling (and its subsequent intimiacy with the audience) is meant to mirror the relationship between geisha and their clients - we are there to be entertained and made to feel welcome, but we must not forget that what we receive is not necesarily the truth between two true companions. Sayuri's story is told to us with many startling secrets (some of which I am sure would never be divulged by a true geisha), which breaks the reality of the story somewhat, but is the result of the author's artistic license. All that formatting stuff aside, this is definitely one of my favourite historical fiction novels. Golden may have taken some liberties with the facts of geisha culture, but the narrative he has written touches on many themes that ring true for humanity as a whole and for that specific period in time, and are sure to spark reader's interest in discovering more about Japan. It's been even more years since I seriously studied Japanese culture or language, but it is compelling stories like these which pique my interest in expanding my knowledge. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Loved it! ( )
  BobbieJR | Jan 14, 2021 |
Golden fills the book with vivid images and subtle descriptions of the nuances of Japanese culture, and is absolutely brilliant in his description of the customs and rituals of the geisha. Through the meticulous detail the reader can fully understand the politics, rivalries, and traditions of the Japan geisha society.
added by mikeg2 | editCNN, Ann Hastings (May 25, 1998)

Mr. Golden gives us not only a richly sympathetic portrait of a woman, but also a finely observed picture of an anomalous and largely vanished world. He has made an impressive and unusual debut.

Haarhuis's foreword and Golden's epilogue, the one appropriating the guise of a novel and the other taking it off, suggest an author who is of two minds when it comes to his work. It is not surprising, then, if his readers share this uncertainty. The decision to write an autobiographically styled novel rather than a nonfiction portrait is most obviously justified in terms of empathy, of allowing greater freedom to explore the geisha's inner life. Unfortunately, Sayuri's personality seems so familiar it is almost generic; she is not so much an individual as a faultless arrangement of feminine virtues.

Golden, Arthurprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

btb (72632)
For my wife, Trudy,
and my children, Hays and Tess
Suppose that you and I were sitting in a quiet room overlooking a garden, chatting and sipping at our cups of green tea while we talked about something that had happened a long while ago, and I said to you, "That afternoon when I met so-and-so . . . was the very best afternoon of my life, and also the very worst afternoon."

A seductive and evocative epic on an intimate scale, that tells the extraordinary story of a geisha girl. Summoning up more than twenty years of Japan's most dramatic history, it uncovers a hidden world of eroticism and enchantment, exploitation and degradation. From a small fishing village in 1929, the tale moves to the glamorous and decadent heart of Kyoto in the 1930s, where a young peasant girl is sold as servant and apprentice to a renowned geisha house. She tells her story many years later from the Waldorf Astoria in New York; it exquisitely evokes another culture, a different time and the details of an extraordinary way of life. It conjures up the perfection and the ugliness of life behind rice-paper screens, where young girls learn the arts of geisha - dancing and singing, how to wind the kimono, how to walk and pour tea, and how to beguile the most powerful men.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,463,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible