The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill

The Woman in the Library (edition 2022)

by Sulari Gentill (Author)

In every person's story, there is something to hide... The ornate reading room at the Boston Public Library is quiet, until the tranquility is shattered by a woman's terrified scream. Security guards take charge immediately, instructing everyone inside to stay put until the threat is identified and contained. While they wait for the all-clear, four strangers, who'd happened to sit at the same table, pass the time in conversation and friendships are struck. Each has his or her own reasons for being in the reading room that morning--it just happens that one is a murderer. Award-winning author Sulari Gentill delivers a sharply thrilling read with THE WOMAN IN THE LIBRARY, an unexpectedly twisty literary adventure that examines the complicated nature of friendship and shows us that words can be the most treacherous weapons of all.… (more)
Member:fredreeca
Title:The Woman in the Library
Authors:Sulari Gentill (Author)
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2022), 288 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill

Thank you NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for the chance to read and review The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill.

The Woman in the Library came out on the 7th of June. This is not Sulari Gentill’s first book; she also has a 10 book long series Rowland Sinclair WWII Mysteries. The Woman in the Library is 292 pages long (at least the kindle version is) and it’s a work of epistolary fiction. It’s currently top of that list on the amazon charts.

Sulari Gentill's new book is set towards the start of the pandemic. It starts off fairly wholesome. Our main character, Hannah, is writing another book (she’s a published writer) and corresponding with her pen pal and fan, Leo, and sending him chapters. Leo is also writing a novel but has been getting turned down by agents and publishers. As the pandemic sets in Hannah’s plans to visit the US get derailed, but she keeps writing the book. It’s an amateur sleuth novel (which is one of the genre’s that The Woman in the Library belongs to), while Leo keeps helping her by digging up information on the city the book is set in. Of course, as the novel progresses, we realise that there is much more going on.

Within the novel that Hannah writes we have four strangers bonded by a scream in the library. They end up becoming friends bonded by the murder and the weird stuff that happens to Freddie, the main character. We’re told by Leo who the killer is early (we can only presume that this is an email from Hannah to Leo as we never do see her emails), and it’s interesting to see the characters come to that conclusion slowly. We’re shown that Freddie really liked the killer and doesn’t want to believe it’s him; she’s the unreliable narrator but we’re also still curious to see if she’s right or not.

The woman in the library has a banging plot. Like the plot is phenomenal (I’m not revealing anymore because spoilers) and so interesting that I had to finish the book. I just wish that Sulari Gentills writing matched up. This book has so much potential but it just fell short and it’s hard to explain that to another person unless they’ve read it but I’ll try.

Hannah sends each chapter to Leo to read. Leo reads the chapter and writes a short email back on how much he loves everything and sends her helpful information on the US. Those chapters are not well written. I couldn’t fathom anyone liking Cain or Freddie or chapter-Leo, or Whit or Marigold. Leo’s love of Marigold and love for everything Hannah wrote was a little annoying. On the one hand, that could be intentional, to show that this is a writer working through things, but on the other hand, as it formed the bulk of the book, it also took away from the novel, even though that plot was great. I would have liked to have seen better chapters sent from Hannah to Leo, and smaller corrections like phrases and things.

I saw the thing with email-Leo coming. I don’t know if other readers did or did not, but I didn’t mind that. Again, the plot is great. But my problem is that the chapters were not good enough to hold my interest and by the end I was skimming; at that point if there was a change in the style of Hannahs writing (which Leo pointed out was getting heavy handed), I didn’t pick up on it. Had those earlier chapters been more put together I would have loved seeing this happen. I also didn’t like the ending to the chapters, which could have been better done. I wish the killer was different; this felt like garbage. ( )
  bookstagramofmine | Jun 25, 2022 |
There is a scream that shatters the silence in the reading room at the Boston Public Library. A dead body of a woman has been discovered by a cleaning lady. This leads to four strangers, who just happen to be sitting at the same table, to become sleuths and fast friends.

I enjoyed the setting of Boston and the Boston Public library. It is now on the bucket list. The story itself is just ok. I had trouble connecting to the characters. But, I did enjoy the mystery and the convoluted way the author gets you to the killer!

The narrator, Katherine Littrell, did a pretty good job. She needs to work on her southern accent though.

Need a good book in a good setting…THIS IS IT! Grab your copy today!

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review. ( )
  fredreeca | Jun 23, 2022 |
While this had lots of clever twists, and stories within a story, it was also confusing for that same reason. I liked it, but was also irritated by the twists and layers. ( )
  EllenH | Jun 22, 2022 |
An Australian author named Hannah shares chapters of her upcoming book with a fan named Leo who lives in the United States, who offers his opinion of the story and advises how to make the book more relatable to American readers. Set during the pandemic and amid travel restrictions, Leo helps the author by visiting various sites in Boston where her story takes place.'

The chapters she shares with Leo surround 4 strangers who meet at the Boston Public Library. As they are busy doing their own work, there rings a woman's blood-curdling scream. It is later discovered that a young woman had been found dead in a banquet room in the library. Slowly the four strangers realize that not all of them were there by chance and that one of them is the murderer.

Katherine Littrell was a natural choice as narrator. She did a wonderful job separating the different strong accents, of which there were approximately three, as well as the male and female characters. It was always easy to interpret which character she was portraying.

This was a good, solid mystery for me. There were a few moments that shocked me and that I felt truly added to the theme of the story. I was enjoying the slow burn of this audio and loved getting lost in the story, the mystery, and the characters. ( )
  Micareads | Jun 21, 2022 |
A book within a book within a book. Interesting premises that was new to me and in the beginning rather confusing but thankfully one book dropped off and just became something one of the characters was writing.

Four strangers in the Boston Public Library hear a scream and begin discussing that they heard, from which a friendship begins as they see if they can solve the mystery. The friendship continues as do the murders with lots of twists and turns. Between every chapter is an email from Leo to the author of the four strangers book, Hannah, as she's writing it with feedback which gets increasingly weird with each email.

Super quick read, characters were okay, but it was entertaining and kept me interested.

Thank you to NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  she_climber | Jun 18, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,572,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible