HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill

The Woman in the Library (original 2022; edition 2022)

by Sulari Gentill (Author)

"The beautifully ornate reading room at the Boston Public Library is completely silent one weekday morning, until a woman's terrified scream echoes through the room. Security guards immediately appear and instruct everyone inside to stay put until they determine there is no threat. While they wait for the all-clear, four strangers who had been sitting in the reading room get to chatting and quickly become friendly. Harriet, Marigold, Whit, and Caine each have their own reasons for being in the reading room that morning--and it just happens that one of them may turn out to be a murderer. For readers of Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore, with shades of The Secret History, THE WOMAN IN THE LIBRARY is an unexpectedly twisty literary adventure that examines the complicated nature of friendship and shows us that words can be the most dangerous weapons of all"--… (more)
Member:KristinSusanne
Title:The Woman in the Library
Authors:Sulari Gentill (Author)
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2022), 288 pages

Work Information

The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill (2022)

Recently added byjulko, magnetgrrl, mommaschole, private library, SonyaHarris

When I first picked this up, I didn't realize it was structured as a book within a book. Austrailian author Hannah Tigone is writing a mystery about an Austrailian author in Boston. She shares chapters as she writes with superfan Leo. It begins with letter from Leo, and honestly, he comes off as pretty creepy. The story of author Freddie, Whit, Marigold and Cain begins in the Boston Public Library. They are unknown to one another and sharing a large square table. A scream and eventual discovery of a dead body leads to friendship between them, even as we wonder if one of them could be responsible. A lot of layers are revealed as the story moves forward. I was continually surprised at some of the direction things went and the ending was well done. ( )
  ethel55 | Feb 1, 2023 |
I really enjoyed this book. The bulk of the book is the story of Freddie. She is in the public library's reading room with three strangers trying to work on her latest novel. She draws inspiration of the people around her, whom she names Heroic Chin, Freud Girl and Handsome Man. Suddenly, they hear a woman scream. That scream immediately forges a bond between them and they become friends. Framing this story of Freddie is the story of Hannah, an Australian author who is writing the novel in which Freddie and her new friends, Whit, Marigold and Cain appear. Hannah is sending draft chapters to Leo in Boston, who is commenting on them...and more. Sounds complicated, but the writing makes it clear.

Both the Hannah/Leo story and the Freddie et al story are compelling. The characters are complex and the book is a page-turner I found hard to put down. A thriller with intelligence that never stretched my ability to suspend disbelief too far. ( )
  LynnB | Jan 19, 2023 |
This mystery had some intriguing components, including three different people writing similar mystery novels (two of which were characters in the novel itself), and a character critiquing the novel itself. I was disappointed with the ending because the motivations of the final culprit's actions weren't fully explained. It was definitley a page-turner. ( )
  troymcc | Jan 11, 2023 |
Maybe because I listened to this with some distractions but I enjoyed the concept but found it a little hard to follow. Want to pick up a hard copy to see what I missed@ ( )
  Sue.Gaeta | Jan 10, 2023 |
A story within a story alongside the notes from a beta reader. Great execution of telling the tales. Will look for more by this author. 2022 read. ( )
  bookczuk | Jan 3, 2023 |
"Open me carefully..." --Emily Dickinson, "Intimate Letters"
For Barbara
Dear Hannah, What are you writing?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,928,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible