Justice Hall by Laurie R. King

Justice Hall (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Laurie R. King

Series: Mary Russell (6), Mary Russell {Chronological Order} (November-December 1923)

Five years after working with Ali and Mahmoud Hazr in Palestine, Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell are shocked when they meet the brothers again in England. Instead of Arabs, their friends are really British aristocrats, Alistair and Marsh Hughenfort. The brothers need help finding the heir to their family estate, the stunningly beautiful Justice Hall. This is a search that will eventually take Holmes and Russell thousands of miles from home.… (more)
Member:LaurieRKing
Title:Justice Hall
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2003), Paperback, 352 pages

Justice Hall by Laurie R. King (2002)

Although not a sequel to a previous book in the Mary Russell series, O Jerusalem, this book does include two of its Arab brothers and traveling companions in Jerusalem, Mahmoud Hazr and the younger Ali Hazr. Although their early relationship has a rocky start, the two soon learned to respect Holmes and Mary Russell.

When this book opens, Holmes and Russell have recently returned from their latest adventure and are resting at home only to be interrupted by a loud pounding on their front door and discovers it to be Ali Hazr. Shortly, the investigative duo discover that Ali and Mahmoud are actually English aristocrats, Alistair Hughenfort, and his cousin Marsh, who has recently returned from the Middle East to assume his position as the the seventh Duke of Beauville. Already tiring of this responsibility, Ali has asked Holmes and Russell to find Marsh's younger brother's son to replace him as next in line. Marsh's younger brother apparently died in WWI from pneumonia shortly after marrying an ambulance driver who became pregnant before he died.

Of course, as Holmes and Russell begin their investigation at Justice Hall, Marsh's ancestral home they quickly discover that events are not quite what they seem. Additionally, their investigation leads to an attempted murder by one of the guests visiting Justice Hall.

I listened to this book as an audiobook. It is probably best to read this one rather than listening to it. At times, the plot plodded along and I found it difficult to maintain my attention. However, I did enjoy that Russell took much more of the pages limelight and got to learn about this character. ( )
  John_Warner | May 18, 2020 |
I love this series but I just didn't care for this one at all. ( )
  knittinkitties | Aug 25, 2019 |
Holmes and Russell have just returned home after their adventures on Dartmoor and are hoping for some quiet time when a knock at the door brings an old friend with a huge problem. Holmes and Russell met Ali Hazr in Palestine four years earlier. Now they are seeing him in his other identity as Alistair Hughenfort.

Ali has come to beg for their help in rescuing his brother Mahmoud from a future that he doesn't want. As the second son of the Duke of Beauville, he wasn't expected to ever inherit the dukedom and the tremendous responsibility and the weight of family tradition. However, his brother's heir nineteen-year-old Gabriel died during World War I and his brother died soon after.

Ali wants Sherlock and Mary to c.onvince Marsh Hughehfort to abdicate in favor of another heir so that they can resume their lives in Palestine as Mycroft's agents. Marsh is not happy with his new responsibilities. In fact, Mary likens him to a man who is just waiting to die. But his long family history won't let him abandon those who depend on him. He does have questions though. Was his nephew executed for some sort of military crime? And if he was, who engineered his death? And, did his brother Lionel really marry and have a child who could be a new heir?

As Mary and Sherlock investigate Gabriel's death, they discover all sorts of questionable things from missing records to unexplained transfers. As they dig deeper it becomes clear that someone engineered young Gabriel's death. And, after a hunting accident that could have killed Marsh, it is clear that the manipulator isn't finished with his crimes.

This story ranges from Justice Hall to London to Paris and to a small town outside of Toronto as Mary and Sherlock investigate this complex conspiracy. The setting and time period are so well drawn that they feel real. The aristocratic lifestyle of Justice Hall is already showing some cracks as the results of World War I and the loss of so many young men are making for great changes in the culture.

The descriptions were so detailed both for Justice Hall and for Ali's home. The characters were complex. Although we don't ever meet Gabriel we get to know him through the memories of those who did know him and through his diaries and letters. There are many secrets and startling revelations in this story which adds to the excitement and to the mystery. It was a compelling story both as a mystery and as a window into a time long gone. ( )
  kmartin802 | Aug 9, 2019 |
It took a bit to fall into this book, but once I did enjoyed it. I love how she carries characters from one story into another, so the series can be seen as a whole. I agree with some of the comments, it was a bit far-fetched but still very enjoyable. I'm completely hooked into this series much like I was with Dorothy Sayers, Jacqueline Winspear, and for contemporary fiction of similar genre, Donna Leon. They create a whole world that I can fall into book after book. ( )
  Mongelli | Jun 30, 2019 |
Justice Hall story takes place quite directly after The Moor when Holmes and Russell find a bloodied guest at their doorstep begging for help. It actually makes a lot of sense to why O Jerusalem came before this book despite that the story takes place directly after The Moor. You just have to rad this book and the previous to find out why...

Russell and Holmes have to help Marsh Hughenfort discover the truth about the death of his nephew Gabriel Hughenfort who died in the Great War of 1918. But, there is someone out there that doesn’t want the truth to be reveal and will do anything to stop Holmes and Russell finding out the truth…

This is also, like O Jerusalem, a book that took some rereads for me to really warm up to it. I was actually a bit surprised to find I have only given it 4-stars on Goodreads (so I changed it to 5-stars) since I actually like it quite a lot nowadays. I like the connection this book have to O Jerusalem and the case is very interesting and tragic. It’s a very good book. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |

King, Laurie R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sterlin, JennyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let justice roll down like the waters, and righteousness like an everflowing stream.

—Amos 5:24
For my family (you know who you are) Familia fortitudo mea est.
Home, my soul sighed.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,742,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible