A beginner's guide to murder

by Rosalind Stopps

1121,630,023 (2.5)None
The brand new book from a powerful literary voice, author of The Stranger She Knew, shortlisted for the Paul Torday Prize. 'Guaranteed to hook you . . . At times both touching and darkly funny, A Beginner's Guide To Murder explores the vital ways in which women can support one another through their darkest hours' Anna Bailey, Sunday Times bestselling author of Tall Bones 'A beguiling, beautifully crafted treat of a novel. It holds so much wisdom yet wears it so lightly. There are shades of Kate Atkinson in the way Rosalind balances dark themes with dry humour, a great plot, exquisitely realised characters, and more than a hint of feminist sensibility... truly everything I want in a novel' Jessica Moor, bestselling author of Keeper 'A quirky, witty thriller that reminds us not to underestimate the older generation' Best 'Darkly comic and gripping' Woman's Own * * * Grace, Meg and Daphne, all in their seventies, are minding their own business while enjoying a cup of tea in a café, when seventeen-year-old Nina stumbles in. She's clearly distraught and running from someone, so the three women think nothing of hiding her when a suspicious-looking man starts asking if they've seen her.   Once alone, Nina tells the women a little of what she's running from. The need to protect her is immediate, and Grace, Meg and Daphne vow to do just this. But how? They soon realise there really is only one answer: murder.   And so begins the tale of the three most unlikely murderers-in-the-making, and may hell protect anyone who underestimates them. * * * Readers LOVE Rosalind Stopps: 'I was hooked from the start and finished it in little more than two days, because it was truly unputdownable. Beautifully written and really quite scary in places . . . A brilliant book. More from this excellent writer please!' Amazon 5* 'This is how fiction should be done! A fabulous, thrilling tale and I loved it!' NetGalley 5* 'An exceptionally powerful psychological thriller' NetGalley 5*… (more)

I really thought that this book might be really interesting from the blurb on the back. A group of three old ladies who decide to kill someone (for a very good cause). But I had a really hard time getting into it. The ladies were interesting in their own right, had very interesting lives that had not been very happy and dealt in large degree with women's issues. In addition to the young woman, Nina, they were trying to protect from "Toad" the sex trafficker from whom she escaped. And thrown in was her backstory as well, but with so much backstory and secrets from each other it all moved at a glacial pace. I was not eager to pick up the book each time I had to put it down and while I did finish it. It really wasn't that interesting.

I would, however, like to thank #NetGalley and Harpers 360 for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  she_climber | Aug 15, 2022 |
It has been a long time since I didn’t finish a book. With so many people giving it four and five stars, I may have enjoyed it, but after getting 20% in and still not being hooked I just couldn’t give any more of my time to it.
I did notice some other reviewers saying it was a slow start and once you got to the middle it really started to get going, so hopefully.

The reason I couldn’t get into it is because it was all tell and no show. The characters were telling us all the things they were instantly thinking or about past events that may have a relevance to the story, but it just kept going and going.
And with me not really being invested in the characters yet, because they didn’t simply ask the girl why she was running from the man, as add to any horror of the situation, I found myself not caring.

If you do decide to give A Beginner’s Guide to Murder by Rosalind Stopps, I hope it really is the intense thriller filled with dark humor that others have said it is. ( )
  KimHeniadis | Jun 21, 2022 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,671,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible