A Killing of Innocents

by Deborah Crombie

20919129,822 (3.95)33
Fiction. Mystery. HTML:

New York Times bestseller Deborah Crombie returns with a new novel featuring Scotland Yard detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James as they race to solve the shocking murder of a young woman before panic spreads across London.

On a rainy November evening, trainee doctor Sasha Johnson hurries through the evening crowd in London's historic Russell Square. Out of the darkness, someone jostles her as they brush past. A moment later, Sasha stumbles, then collapses. When Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his sergeant, Doug Cullen, are called to the scene, they discover that she's been stabbed.

Kincaid immediately calls in his detective wife, Gemma James, who has recently been assigned to a task force on knife crimes which are on the rise. Along with her partner, detective sergeant Melody Talbot, Gemma aids the investigation. But Sasha Johnson doesn't fit the profile of the task force's typical knife crime victim. Single, successful, career-driven, she has no history of abusive relationships or any connection to gangs. Sasha had her secrets, though, and some of them lead the detectives uncomfortably close to home.

As the team unravels the victim's tangled connections, another murder raises the stakes. Kincaid, Gemma, and their colleagues must put even friendships on the line to find the killer stalking the dark streets of Bloomsbury.

… (more)

A bit slow for my taste but I know many love this series so that’s just my opinion. ( )
  StevenR | Sep 20, 2023 |
I've been reading this series for a long time but I have to say I enjoyed the early books much more than those later in the series. The personal lives of the characters have taken precedence over the mystery element and now that I've missed a couple of recent books in the series I'm completely at sea in what appears to have become a soap opera series. This book was really disappointing. ( )
  VivienneR | Aug 8, 2023 |
Kincaid and Gemma juggle family responsibilities. A junior doctor and a nurse from same hospital are knifed in separate attacks. Are they related? Many red herrings before final solution.
  ritaer | Jun 3, 2023 |
An enjoyable 19th visit to Gemma and Duncan as they solve a series of ice pick murders. Engaging characters, good plot development and the continuing family time with Gemma and Duncan. ( )
  pennykaplan | May 24, 2023 |
A female doctor in training is stabbed in a square on the route from the hospital to where she resided. The murder takes place on Duncan's beat. He and Doug had just seen the woman at a pub where she'd seemed like she was awaiting someone who perhaps never showed up. Gemma and Melody are working desk jobs now, and both miss their roles as detectives. Duncan involves Emma by asking her to do some undercover bar hopping with his less-than-reliable DI. I'm getting tired of the continuing soap opera drama with Melody, Andy, Poppy, and Doug. (I liked things better before Andy and Poppy came into the picture to complicate the relationship between Doug and Melody.) I've waited for this installment's release for years, and I was disappointed. While the mystery itself was quite good, the rest of the story didn't keep me wanting to read it. ( )
1 vote thornton37814 | May 21, 2023 |

Belongs to Series

Fiction. Mystery. HTML:

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,166,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible