How to Be Perfect: The Correct Answer to…

How to Be Perfect: The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question (original 2022; edition 2022)

by Michael Schur (Author)

From the creator of The Good Place and the cocreator of Parks and Recreation, a hilarious, thought-provoking guide to living an ethical life, drawing on 2,400 years of deep thinking from around the world. Most people think of themselves as "good," but it's not always easy to determine what's "good" or "bad"--especially in a world filled with complicated choices and pitfalls and booby traps and bad advice. Fortunately, many smart philosophers have been pondering this conundrum for millennia and they have guidance for us. With bright wit and deep insight, How to Be Perfect explains concepts like deontology, utilitarianism, existentialism, ubuntu, and more so we can sound cool at parties and become better people. Schur starts off with easy ethical questions like "Should I punch my friend in the face for no reason?" (No.) and works his way up to the most complex moral issues we all face. Such as: Can I still enjoy great art if it was created by terrible people? How much money should I give to charity? Why bother being good at all when there are no consequences for being bad? And much more. By the time the book is done, we'll know exactly how to act in every conceivable situation, so as to produce a verifiably maximal amount of moral good. We will be perfect, and all our friends will be jealous. OK, not quite. Instead, we'll gain fresh, funny, inspiring wisdom on the toughest issues we face every day.… (more)
Member:madsglen
Title:How to Be Perfect: The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question
Authors:Michael Schur (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2022), 304 pages

Work Information

How to Be Perfect: The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question by Michael Schur (2022)

this book was so good and entertaining that i even read all of the acknowledgements which i don't think i've ever done before. this book is funny and approachable and informative. Michael Schur is just great. this is a very well written and easy to follow exploration on how to be better person. not to be a perfect person, but a person who is good to other people and of the world. Schur is funny and i loved all his funny footnotes and his humor mixed in with all the research he did. and his letter to his kids!! that was very sweet and a good summary of what the whole book was about ( )
  Ellen-Simon | Oct 23, 2022 |
Michael Schur is a television comedy writer, and boy does he think he's funny. He needs to footnote nearly every page with jokes. So, just go with the flow.

This is a fun-filled romp through ethics as philosophized through the ages. We go from Aristotle to Kant to brief divergences into the Existentialists and Ayn Rand; the utilitarians and Peter Singer; the African concept of "ubuntu"; and kind of a letdown of a final chapter on saying you're sorry and a rambling letter to his two children.

I certainly laughed out loud several times every single reading. But I did not learn how to be perfect. ( )
  Tytania | Aug 15, 2022 |
An elementary overview of select Western philosophies littered with dad jokes that then has the audacity to include FOOTNOTES containing even MORE dad jokes! Completely unethical and arguably immoral. ( )
1 vote SarahMac314 | Aug 12, 2022 |
What a relief when I gave myself permission to stop reading at page 100. I thought this would be a humorous and engaging book, based on the reviews. Although there were several funny observations, anecdotes, and jokes, the majority of the book focused on varied ethical theories provided by philosophers and other important thinkers, making it wordy, convoluted, dry, and boring. The author did a lot of research on morality and ethics before writing the TV show The Good Place, and it seems like he took his research and made a book out of it, adding his own snarky and often funny comments. Be warned, there are footnotes on almost every page.

Michael Schur is a comedy writer - in addition to The Good Place, he is also co-creator of the popular TV show Parks and Recreation. This book demonstrates that his research did not qualify him – or educate him enough – to write a book providing “the correct answer to every moral question.” This is the book’s subtitle.

I was disappointed because I expected to laugh and be entertained while learning to become a better person. Instead it was a sedative and I’m no more perfect than before. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Aug 1, 2022 |
Please go to my blog to read my review. ( )
  pw0327 | May 30, 2022 |
Today, you've decided to be a good person.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,191,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible