The Book of Cold Cases by Simone St. James

The Book of Cold Cases (original 2022; edition 2022)

by Simone St. James (Author)

A Most Anticipated Novel by PopSugar * Crime Reads * Goodreads * A true crime blogger gets more than she bargained for while interviewing the woman acquitted of two cold case slayings in this chilling new novel from the New York Times bestselling author of The Sun Down Motel. In 1977, Claire Lake, Oregon, was shaken by the Lady Killer Murders: Two men, seemingly randomly, were murdered with the same gun, with strange notes left behind. Beth Greer was the perfect suspect--a rich, eccentric twenty-three-year-old woman, seen fleeing one of the crimes. But she was acquitted, and she retreated to the isolation of her mansion.   Oregon, 2017. Shea Collins is a receptionist, but by night, she runs a true crime website, the Book of Cold Cases--a passion fueled by the attempted abduction she escaped as a child. When she meets Beth by chance, Shea asks her for an interview. To Shea's surprise, Beth says yes.   They meet regularly at Beth's mansion, though Shea is never comfortable there. Items move when she's not looking, and she could swear she's seen a girl outside the window. The allure of learning the truth about the case from the smart, charming Beth is too much to resist, but even as they grow closer, Shea senses something isn't right. Is she making friends with a manipulative murderer, or are there other dangers lurking in the darkness of the Greer house?… (more)
Member:kwright2528
Title:The Book of Cold Cases
Authors:Simone St. James (Author)
Info:Berkley (2022), 352 pages

Work Information

The Book of Cold Cases by Simone St. James (2022)

4.5 stars

This is my 3rd book by Simone St. James and it certainly will not be my last. There is just something special about her books that draws me in and keeps me coming back for more. Each book that I've read by her has toed the line between horror and thriller - and this book was no different. I love how her books hang in the balance between both genres. I felt like this book's atmosphere was slightly more eerie than the other two I've read which I really appreciated. I loved that ominous layer of tension she created within the pages. I did feel like this book was missing a little something extra though even if I'm not sure exactly what that missing piece was. And don't get me wrong - I would rate it 4.5 stars easily, but in comparison the other two books were five star reads for me (the other two books being The Sundown Motel and The Broken Girls). So a really good read and one that I recommend, but just not my very favorite of hers. I do plan on working my way through her backlist after loving these three books so much.

Readers who want a creepy but not scary read, those who love an atmospheric read, and those who just want a book that they cannot put down should pick this one up. Highly recommended!

CW - Kidnapping of a child, trauma ( )
  samantha.1020 | Nov 20, 2022 |
This book is a good ghost story, but I didn't enjoy it as much as The Sun Down Motel which seemed much more believable somehow. The story is about a young woman named Shae Collins. Shae is a young woman who has a horrific backstory from her childhood, and has just gotten a divorce and is living on her own in Claire Lake, Oregon. She works as a receptionist at a doctor's office during the day and on her online blog about unsolved cold murder cases. At work, Shae comes across Beth Greer who had been arrested as the Lady Killer in Claire Lake back in the 1970's. Beth was acquitted, but she contacts Shae and asks her to look into her old unsolved case. Shae, along with her private detective Michael, dig into the case. This is a chilling story and Shae's visits to the Greer mansion become more and more dreaded as she senses an aura of evil at the mansion--taps turning on, lights going off and on, cold drafts in enclosed rooms. This was a good book for the season (Hallowe'en) and Ms. St. James writes a good story with plenty of tension that doesn't let up and lots of paranormal activity. ( )
  Romonko | Nov 6, 2022 |
The Book of Cold Cases -St.James
Audiobook performance by Brittany Pressley and Kirsten Potter
4 stars

It’s not exactly a split timeline book, but there are two storylines. Shea Collins has a hobby. When she isn’t at her day job she runs a true crime website. She is fascinated by a series of unsolved local murders that took place in 1977. Beth Greer is the wealthy local woman who was acquitted of the murders when she was 23. She has been an eccentric recluse ever since.

And then, without any discernible reason, Beth Greer agrees to be interviewed for Shea Collins’ weekly blog. The past doesn’t exactly come back to haunt. Apparently it has never ceased its haunting.

St. James is very good at combining horrific real life crimes with violent supernatural haunting. She captures the contemporary atmosphere of both timelines realistically. (I find it difficult to call the 1977 storyline, ‘historical’.) The sexist bias of Beth Greer’s prosecution was sadly realistic. Shea Collins life in social media continued a 21st century theme that’s run through other mysteries that I’ve read recently. The audiobook was well voiced by Pressley and Potter with a third performer reading the trial transcript. ( )
  msjudy | Oct 29, 2022 |
Finally, a decent story! The murder mystery, supernatural element and even the autumnal atmosphere of the Oregon setting were all on point here - and the cat wasn't mistreated in the slightest! Bonus point!

Shea Collins, who narrowly escaped being murdered herself as a child, runs a blog called the Book of Cold Cases. Top of her list is the 'Lady Killer' case of 1977, when a young heiress was accused of being a female serial killer after two men were shot by the roadside. Beth Greer was arrested for the deaths but later released due to lack of evidence, yet the town of Claire Lake still believes she is guilty. When Shea meets the elusive Lady Killer in the doctor's surgery where she works, she bravely asks to interview her - and Beth agrees. But why? And what dark secrets is she hiding at Greer mansion, long thought to be haunted?

I absolutely loved the first half of the story, with Shea's combination of curiosity and neuroses driving her interest in the lives and deaths of other people, and the classic haunted house tropes at the Greer house. Beth is also a fascinating character, a recovering alcoholic battling personal demons - literally - but who faces the world with a cool manner and a blank expression. Like Shea, I was in awe of Beth's style and power too.

The identity of the Lady Killer, a plot twist saved only by the supernatural subplot of the novel, didn't work as well for me. The psychopathic behaviour of the killer fell flat against the deeper characterisation of Shea and Beth, although I'm glad that the author didn't force the whole 'traumatic childhood' angle as an excuse.

The perfect novel for the cold, dark nights of Halloween season, which will have readers feeling cold drafts and checking the shadows! ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Oct 7, 2022 |
My first of St. James and I was hooked from the first page. If you are reading this please don't let the word ghost cause you to not try this book. Gothic in nature so you are feeling edgy and it's somewhat unsettling. I actually liked the ending very much or rather how the plot with one character was completed! I'll be see more of Simone St James. ( )
  BONS | Oct 6, 2022 |
For my mother, who didn't get to read this one.
The Greer mansion sat high on a hill, overlooking the town and the ocean.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,267,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible