New England White by Stephen L. Carter

New England White (edition 2007)

by Stephen L. Carter

7122023,943 (3.44)29
In a New England university town of Elm Harbor a murder begins to crack the veneer that has hidden the racial complications of the town's past, the secrets of a prominent family, and the most hidden bastions of African-American political influence.
Member:roddyk
Title:New England White
Authors:Stephen L. Carter
Info:New York : Alfred A. Knopf, 2007.
Tags:African American, academia, conspiracy, upper class

New England White by Stephen L. Carter

English (19)  Italian (1)  All languages (20)
600 pages for a murder mystery is too much. Even name of the rose was 500 pages and that had so many other major elements to develop. So I got up to page 147 and then skipped to the end. Too much on While there were ivery interesting details about the life and mores of upper eschelon black Americans, I was left yawning with Julias constant vacillations and internal conflicts. About 300 pages less and trhis would have been en point. ( )
  amaraki | Nov 1, 2019 |
4 starts
  tsgood | Jul 10, 2018 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this audio book. I didn't think I would be drawn into the story because racial tension tends to drive me away. However, the mystery is so interesting and complex that my curiosity forced me to keep listening. There are a lot of different characters in the book with their own complexities so it got a little confusing at times. Good mystery. ( )
  jnechiporenio | Apr 26, 2017 |
When Professor Kellen Zant is found murdered, a decades old mystery is resurrected. It involves the President of a university and his family who were socially related. Very good depiction by a black author of a successful black family in a upper class white community . Not a quick read, but hard to put down. ( )
  LivelyLady | Aug 16, 2015 |
A Tedious read.

This book is an interesting story. The characters were well developed and the wife of the university president, Julia Carlye being portrayed as a sleuth to uncover a murder was a intriguing twists. Overall I thought the book was way too long. At least 100 pages could have been deleted, because about half way through I was about to toss it in the trash can. It was so boring. The story did perk up, but it never really held my interest and wouldn't say the book was a real page turner. It was an average but interesting mystery tale. I doubt I would recommend it to any of my friends. ( )
  CharlieWiles | Jan 14, 2011 |
Why does everybody pick on the economists? They've correctly predicted thirteen of the past five recessions!

--Familiar campus joke
For Annette Windom
Rumors chase the dead like flies, and we follow them with our prim noses.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,357,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible