The Time Machine and The Invisible Man…

The Time Machine and The Invisible Man (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) (edition 2008)

by H. G. Wells (Author), Alfred Mac Adam (Introduction)

Member:Dylan_Ford
Title:The Time Machine and The Invisible Man (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
Authors:H. G. Wells (Author)
Other authors:Alfred Mac Adam (Introduction)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2008), Edition: English Language, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:books-owned

The Time Machine / The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells

The Time Machine: 4 stars

The father of sci-fi brings us the story of the Time Traveller. It's sensational, groundbreaking for its time, and strangely enough, has a humorous flare.

The Invisible Man: 5 stars

The Invisible Man reads like a horror novel. Thrilling, creepy, and compelling. Brings to mind Lovecraft's Re-Animator. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Aug 14, 2018 |
It's always hard to write two books at once. The Time Machine though the concept was very interesting was a rather boring read. Perhaps it is the century in which it was written? I found it a little hard to get into. The Invisible Man was better but also a little difficult to get into due to language and grammar. Both very fascinating reads. I can see why HG Wells is one of the fathers of modern science fiction. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | May 6, 2018 |
I really enjoyed The Time Machine. What I love most about the book is the time traveler is never given a name only a gender. It is also left open as to what was the final end of the traveler. So for all we know, he is anywhere on the time spectrum. How excellent! I usually don't like books that do not provide me with a conclusion. I guess that makes me linear, but I like a beginning, climax, and end to a story. When I tell a story I tell them that way, so I guess I like to read or listen to them that way.

Though I have indulged in many classical as well as modern books I had never read an H.G. Wells book before. I saw the movie "The Time Machine" when I was just a little girl, but never thought to read the book. I can't wait to get more of Wells. ( )
  jlsimon7 | Mar 1, 2015 |
The first of these short novels represents what Wells thought might be outcome of the gap in class differences in the distant future from his perspective in 1899. It was rather a startling scenario of a childlike, carefree, lethargic elite who are given over completely to pleasure, and an industrious, brutish lower class who prey upon the elite for food.

The second is about what happens when a man attains a scientific marvel, and how it not only changes him physically, but how it changes his personality as well, and how it eventually destroys him.

I loved both of these books, even though I am no sci-fi fan. ( )
  bookwoman247 | Nov 17, 2013 |
This is a reread and is as good as I remember it when I discovered it as an undergraduate in - where else? - a bar. A Viking bar, no less.

My respect for Wells both as an author and a philosopher deepens with every read and reread. His style is a lot less florid than other writers of his generation, and I wonder now if this is one of the reasons he stood out then. The anti-hero had probably been used before as the protagonist in a novel, but Wells doesn't bother to make him sympathetic. Instead he just gives you a good yarn that has stood the test of time.

I haven't gotten around to rereading The Time Machine yet, but I will soon. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |

H. G. Wellsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Batchelor, John CalvinIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mac Adam, AlfredIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us. (The Time Machine)

"His goggling spectacles and ghastly bandaged face under the penthouse of his hat came with a disagreeable suddenness out of the darkness," Wells wrote in The Invisible Man. H. G. Wells described wonders of science and imagined possible futures, meanwhile critiquing his own society and contributing more to the science fiction genre than almost any other writer. This collection brings two of Well's most beloved classics together in one volume. It also includes a discussion of the films inspired by the novels, reviews of Wells's works, and discussion questions.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,031,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible