The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar…

The Importance of Being Earnest (original 1895; edition 2005)

by Oscar Wilde

The story of two dissatisfied gentlemen, one from the country and the other from the city, who invent imaginary acquaintances as an excuse to leave their own environments for awhile. The play mixes hilarious comedy with sharp social criticism on topics such as morality, marriage, and class.
Member:judamasmas
Title:The Importance of Being Earnest
Authors:Oscar Wilde
Info:Prestwick House Inc. (2005), Paperback, 76 pages
Rating:*****

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (1895)

English (147)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (157)
Funny, absurd and an absolute classic! ( )
  plitzdom | May 12, 2021 |
I probably should have expected a fair amount of silliness and slapstick based on it being a 'trivial comedy for serious people,' but que sera, sera. It was a quick, funny read nonetheless. The ending line was a bit on the nose, though, wasn't it? ( )
  sarahlh | Mar 6, 2021 |
It's been a long time since I've read the Importance of Being Earnest, and while it remains one of my favourite of Oscar Wilde's plays, I am somewhat struck by what a complete farce it is. I seriously can't quite believe the naive, lovestruck men in this play, nor the insipid, name-obsessed women! I guess Wilde must have hung out with ome ridiculous society characters to be inspired to create four such as these protagonists. WHat does remain of interest is Wilde's depiction of the upper classes and their funny attitudes towards propriety and marriage. "Suitable" matches, the escapades of young men (and the lies they concoct to get away with it), and the shift towards young people marrying for love (or at least what seems like love) accurately show us the sideways views of Oscar Wilde's Victorian-era society, which may have changed much in 100 years, but in some ways remains much the same. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
The importance of being Earnest is that one book that making fun of high society with witty jokes. I love it until the very end and I'd love to re-read it sometimes and experience it all over again. ( )
  bellacrl | Jan 19, 2021 |
I've not read a great deal in the way of plays, and I really don't remember how I came to read this particular one, but it has become one of my favourite works. The interaction between the characters, the dialogue, the snappy conversations -- they all make for a wonderful read. You will definitely find yourself laughing as you read. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |

Tsao, AlexCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Morning-room in Algernon's flat in Half-Moon Street. The room is luxuriously and artistically furnished.
Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LADY BRACKNELL: To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
ALGERNON: Did you hear what I was playing, Lane?
LANE: I didn't think it polite to listen, sir.
ALGERNON: I am sorry for that, for your sake. I don't play accurately—anyone can play accurately—but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life.
ALGERNON: Good heavens! Is marriage so demoralising as that?
LANE: I believe it is a very pleasant state, sir. I have had very little experience of it myself up to the present. I have only been married once. That was in consequence of a misunderstanding between myself and a young person.
ALGERNON: Oh! it is absurd to have a hard-and-fast rule about what one should read and what one shouldn't. More than half of modern culture depends on what one shouldn't read.
JACK: I am quite aware of the fact, and I don't propose to discuss modern culture. It isn't the sort of thing one should talk of in private.
ALGERNON: The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete impossibility!
JACK: That wouldn't be at all a bad thing.
ALGERNON: Literary criticism is not your forte, my dear fellow. Don't try it. You should leave that to people who haven't been at a University. They do it so well in the daily papers.
Please do not combine with works that contain any work other than The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,048,969 books! | Top bar: Always visible