Insomnia: A Novel by Sarah Pinborough

Insomnia: A Novel (edition 2022)

by Sarah Pinborough (Author)

In the dead of night, madness lies... Emma can't sleep. CHECK THE WINDOWS It's been like this since her big 4-0 started getting closer. LOCK THE DOORS Her mother stopped sleeping just before her 40th birthday too. She went mad and did the unthinkable because of it. LOOK IN ON THE CHILDREN Is that what's happening to Emma? WHY CAN'T SHE SLEEP? Praise for Insomnia 'If you loved Behind Her Eyes, prepare to be totally and utterly blown away by Insomnia. Sarah Pinborough is a twisted genius' Lisa Jewell 'Pinborough writes like an absolute dream about an absolute nightmare. I loved it!' Richard Osman 'Queen of the impossible, this heart pounding thriller will have you up all night' Clare Mackintosh 'Creepy as all get out - a gaslighting masterclass' Ian Rankin 'Insomnia is a twisted, dark ride that keeps you gripped, unable to look away. Utterly addictive and highly recommended' Lucy Clarke 'Dark, tense and intense, with Pinborough's trademark under-shiver of the uncanny. Don't start this at night - it's guaranteed to steal your sleep' Cara Hunter 'One crazy sleepless ride building up to a hideously tense climax. Expertly done - Sarah Pinborough is the queen of unsettling, twisty reads' Harriet Tyce 'Sarah Pinborough is the master of the unexpected and Insomnia does not disappoint. This terrifying thriller about a family under threat from within is a total page-turner' Gilly Macmillan 'Absolutely brilliant, completely unputdownable and so satisfying - Pinborough just gets better and better' Jenny Colgan 'A whip smart page turning triumph' Jane Shemilt 'Compelling and alarming with just a touch of the paranormal - very clever' Catherine Cooper 'An absolute must-read' Joe Hill 'Well crafted and insanely clever' C. M. Ewan 'A genuine up all night, compellingly twisty thriller of a book' Araminta Hall… (more)
Member:brun4138
Title:Insomnia: A Novel
Authors:Sarah Pinborough (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2022), 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Work Information

Insomnia by Sarah Pinborough

Just couldn't get into this book. Same things kept happening to her. Boring. ( )
  Beecharmer | May 16, 2022 |
Emma Averell is happily married with a family and a career. Emma is turning 40 in a few days and is dreading it. When her mother turned 40 she her went mad and Emma doesn't want the same thing to happen. However things are going the same way starting with not being able to sleep.

I loved this book. Sarah Pinborough can certainly write a thriller that keeps me guessing and on my toes. This book is no exception.

The story pulled me in from the start and with every page I needed to know what was going to happen next. The story has plenty of tension and does twist one way and then another. The night time scenes are the most chilling as it is when we should be asleep but are at our most vulnerable.

I did have an inkling with one character but didn't work out the ins and outs which still added a few surprises. I was waiting for a supernatural element too which after Behind Her Eyes I think I was expecting.

This book is an excellent read and I highly recommend it. Thank you to the publisher via Netgalley for the book. ( )
  tina1969 | May 1, 2022 |
Yikes... This book was enough to give me insomnia.. I did not want to put it down, I could not put it down, I constantly was thinking about the book when I had to put it down.

There are folks that have anxiety around their birthdays and getting older and then there is Emma Averell.. she takes worrying about her 40th birthday to a whole new level. Understandable considering her mother's mental health crisis at the same age. Seemingly Emma has it all, high power career, loving husband, 2 children, a beautiful home.. but 12 days prior to her 40th birthday she starts experiencing insomnia and the cracks in her ''perfect'' life being to show.. or is it all just in her mind??

I was hooked by page 1. It was like I jumped on a rollercoaster and just held on for dear life. I can see how some readers thought parts were repetitive.. for me these were the creepiest parts. I just knew within this downward cycle the author was building a complete story. I felt Emma's frenzied perceptions of what was happening around her. The past intertwined with the present flawlessly... an edge of your seat twisty thriller. I'll be recommending this one to everyone... mark your calendars for April 12th!! You will want to grab this one on release day.

Thank you netgalley and publisher, William Morrow & Company for a digital advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  tb0607 | Mar 30, 2022 |
Not gonna lie, I felt a little crazy reading this book.

Is Emma actually losing her mind, as her mother apparently did back when Emma was a child? Is anyone… or everyone… actually out to get her? There were so many, SO many points at which I thought I had figured out what the heck was going on, only to be thrown again the next chapter. Sometimes it was invigorating to be surprised, but sometimes it was mildly irritating to have such an incredible number of twists. Either way, I couldn’t put it down and probably lost my fair share of sleep too. Great job, Sarah Pinborough. I’ll definitely be checking out more from this author.

Thank you to Goodreads for this advance readers copy.
I was not required to leave a review, and all opinions here are my own. ( )
  CassMama | Jan 31, 2022 |
For Jessica Burdett. Producer, dream-maker, friend, and fellow sufferer of sleeplessness. Thanks so much for everything. SP x
The other car comes out of nowhere. (Prologue)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,290,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible