Good to great : why some companies make the…

Good to great : why some companies make the leap--and others don't (edition 2001)

by James C. Collins

Built To Last, the defining management study of the nineties, showed how great companies triumph over time and how long-term sustained performance can be engineered into the DNA of an enterprise from the very beginning. But what about companies that are not born with great DNA? How can good companies, mediocre companies, even bad companies achieve enduring greatness? Are there those that convert long-term mediocrity or worse into long-term superiority? If so, what are the distinguishing characteristics that cause a company to go from good to great? Over five years, Jim Collins and his research team have analyzed the histories of 28 companies, discovering why some companies make the leap and others don't. The findings include: Level 5 Leadership: A surprising style, required for greatness. The Hedgehog Concept: Finding your three circles, to transcend the curse of competence. A Culture of Discipline: The alchemy of great results. Technology Accelerators: How good-to-great companies think differently about technology. The Flywheel and the Doom Loop: Why those who do frequent restructuring fail to make the leap.… (more)
Member:tcgerlach
Title:Good to great : why some companies make the leap--and others don't
Authors:James C. Collins
Info:New York, NY : HarperBusiness, 2001.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:leadership, business

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't by Jim Collins

English (74)  Korean (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (77)
I’ve resisted reading this book for a decade or so. As a pastor I’ve long associated it with an uncritical business thinking takeover of Christian leadership. As I read it, I’m certainly critical of parts, from methodology to interpretation, but slowly it overwhelmed me with helpfulness. It’s just too helpful of a book to not read and apply. Yes, of course, it’s not the only book to read, and it doesn’t have all the answers (whatever that means), but it’s one of the few books I read this year that I’ll reread in the next three years. ( )
  nicholasjjordan | Nov 13, 2019 |
I enjoyed Good to Great as part of our book club at work. I appreciate that the findings were based on data and research, and not anecdotes and poorly remembered details from specific business personalities. I would love to see an updated version twenty years later with how the internet has transformed things, but the book did mention how great companies use technology smartly and not rely on it completely. ( )
  hskey | Sep 23, 2018 |
A book I go back to routinely for regrinding. ( )
  jnetnoe | May 8, 2018 |
Хотя книга рассказывает о том, как построить великую КОМПАНИЮ, по-моему, эти же принципы подходят и для построения своей личной жизни. Ведь каждого человека можно рассматривать в т.ч. и как некую компанию. ( )
  sr71at | Apr 27, 2018 |
Tremendous book which opened my eyes to a number of valid concepts, especially risk taking. ( )
  rcalbright | Sep 6, 2017 |
Jim Collins new book is titled Good To Great. If you haven't read it yet, buy, beg, or borrow it. It's that important.
Collins calls Good To Great a "prequel" to his hugely successful Built To Last. I call it the most important Business Leadership book I have read in a long time.

Collins, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tillman, MaaritTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the Chimps. I love you all, each and every one.
ratty data

Pourquoi certaines entreprises affichant des performances plutot moyennes décolent ils soudain pour rejoinder le peloton de tete?

Peandant 5 ans Jim Collins et sn équipe de chercheurs se sont attelés à cette vaste question pour débusquer le secret de la conversion à l'excellence. Onze entreprises , retenues pour leur performances boursières très supérieures à celles de leur secteur , ont été comparées à leurs concurrentes . Les conclusions qui en ressortent sont étonnantes !

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,615,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible