The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the…

The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Jeffrey Toobin

Bestselling author Jeffrey Toobin takes you into the chambers of the most important--and secret--legal body in our country, the Supreme Court, and reveals the complex dynamic among the nine people who decide the law of the land. Just in time for the 2008 presidential election--where the future of the Court will be at stake--Toobin reveals an institution at a moment of transition, when decades of conservative disgust with the Court have finally produced a conservative majority, with major changes in store on such issues as abortion, civil rights, presidential power, and church-state relations. Based on exclusive interviews with justices themselves, The nine tells the story of the Court through personalities--from Anthony Kennedy's overwhelming sense of self-importance to Clarence Thomas's well-tended grievances against his critics to David Souter's odd nineteenth-century lifestyle. There is also, for the first time, the full behind-the-scenes story of Bush v. Gore--and Sandra Day O'Connor's fateful breach with George W. Bush, the president she helped place in office.… (more)
Member:jfp
Title:The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court
Authors:Jeffrey Toobin
Info:Doubleday (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 384 pages

The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court by Jeffrey Toobin (2007)

English (69)  Spanish (1)  All languages (70)
Excellent book on the first go around on
Roe Versus Wade. Highly informative ( )
  busterrll | Aug 2, 2019 |
This was a extraordinary read. It is a bit dated, but most of the cases discussed like abortion, campaign finance, religious freedom and affirmative action will surely be argued anew in the near furture. Mr. Toobin writes well, and he engages the reader with his anecdotes. For the lay person, this is a perfect book for a overview of the modern Supreme Court. Reccomended. ( )
  Mitchell_Bergeson_Jr | Aug 6, 2017 |
Phenomenal read. It did drag on a bit toward the end. For the most part however I was engrossed. The personalities, ideologies and the interpretation of law and justice have been nothing short of fascinating. ( )
  ArchanaV | Jul 16, 2017 |
Highly recommend. This book answered a question I've wondered about for years! : when O'Connor was appointed I remember being so disappointed with "the first woman on the bench" because I thought she was going to be a Reagan Yes-Woman but, later, it turned out that she had some very moderate opinions, and though I never bothered to research my musings, I always wondered what happened. O'Connor turned out to be a very thoughtful and somewhat progressive judge and seemed like a "good" judge (good being that we made progress in the country, not the inane attitude of some of the other judges that we must go back to Man Rules Woman and that's that).

I'm still afraid for the future of Roe v. Wade but, maybe, if Hillary gets elected, we actually can get some moderate judges into the system so that progress won't be impeded and this insane push of the religious ultra-right-wing to make the USA a theocracy will be stemmed for a long long time. ( )
  marshapetry | Aug 10, 2016 |
Ostensibly this is a book about the Supreme Court's most recent era of stability--the 10 year long period in which no new Justices were appointed (approx 1994-2005). Even for those familiar with major court rulings during the period this is a helpful text, as it situates the Justices politically and personally within the context of the rulings, and provides sharp and (generally) fair analyses of the same.

But the real claim of the book goes much deeper, and builds slowly: Toobin calls into question the purported independence of the highest court of the land, and, doing so, calls our putative democracy--dependent on the strict separation of powers--into question. If Supreme Court Justices are political appointees, how is the independence of the Judiciary not compromised? While it is clear that Justices' lifetime tenure allows for slowly "evolving" political viewpoints to shift from conservative toward the liberal side & vice versa, there is no mistaking that they are ideologically informed. On Toobin's view, the Presidential nomination procedure entails that the Court is, as it stands, far from independent--indeed it is simply another (perhaps more civil?) arena in which political war is waged. ( )
  reganrule | Jun 9, 2016 |
To Adam
Prologue, The Steps
The architect Cass Gilbert had grand ambitions for his design of a new home for the Supreme court—what he called "the greatest tribunal in the world, one of the three great elements of our national government."
Chapter 1, The Federalist War of Ideas
For a long time, during the middle of the twentieth century, it wasn't even clear what it meant to be a judicial conservative.

Nice fluid style, imminently readable. Sheds a lot of light on an institution that we don't hear much about, aside from their decisions.
Judicial power

Lies not in the Chief Justice

But with the swing vote.

(matt.heger)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,288,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible